Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
50734646

I have filler that got into my salivary glands. Should I

Customer Question

I have facial filler that got into my salivary glands. Should I worry? Will it eventually leave the glands? It showed up on an mri (for something else) and the doctor said it was filler and that my doctor had gone too deep
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. "Filler" in the salivary glands - very unusual. Have you told the physician who injected the filler about this? You should if you have not done so. Maybe this physician should not be injecting fillers anymore.This should dissipate with time. I am available if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am calling him today. He is a top plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills. Do you think it can do damage now that it's in my salivary glands? If so, what could it do

The filler can act as what it is - a foreign substance in a salivary gland. This can cause a foreign body reaction which may cause some pain, hardness and inflammation. The reaction usually will subside by itself but it may need to be drained or operated upon if it persists and if you are symptomatic from it. But it may not cause a reaction at all.