Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
50734646

I had silicone injections last year around this time in my

Customer Question

Hello, I had silicone injections last year around this time in my buttocks. A few months ago I had some swelling in my lower back and my left hip. I did not receive any of the silicone in these two areas. I got on an antibiotic and the swelling reduced. Four months later I am having the same issue but now The swelling is twice as intense with redness and sore to the touch. Could this be from the injections that I had in my buttocks?
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. As you know, silicone injections are not approved by the FDA due to the very high chance that the silicone will migrate - will not stay in the same location as injected. There is a very high chance that your swelling is related to migrating silicone. I am available if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are your suggestions as far as resolving this issue?

There is no easy solution for problems related to silicone injection. First of all, you need to find a competent board certified plastic surgeon who will see you in a consultation. Then you will need an ultrasound of the involved areas and surgery to attempt to remove the silicone - not easy to accomplish.