Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
50734646

I'm currently having my second try to expand tissue

Customer Question

I'm currently having my second try to expand tissue for my chest after mastectomy. After first one and implant change it took 2 months and a hole appeared to my left breast without any infection and 1 month later to another one. My plastic surgeon said
my skin was really thin on those parts. Is there a supplement or food that will make skin thicker?
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear that you are having problems with an expander. Did you have a muscle flap or free flap for reconstruction? If the skin is thin, something has to be done to bring in new tissue so that there is enough thickness to expand. Unfortunately, there is no supplement or food that will make skin thicker. I am available if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
I had double mastectomy and expanders placed under my chest muscle immediately. I wanted to move fat and skin from stomach but due to chemo I lost too much weight.
I guess we have to wait and see.

The key with someone with thin skin is to expand when the area is healed and not to over expand. Hope everything works out for you.