Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
50734646

I am considering lipo, and I have met with a plastic

Customer Question

I am considering lipo, and I have met with a plastic surgeon that I like. he does have the laser lipo machine in this office as well as the ultrasound lipo machine. However when I said that I wanted that type of lipo, he said the type of lipo he will do is actually more precise than the other two options and that he hardly uses the other machines because he doesnt feel the skin tightening that is claimed is significant enough so there really is no difference. He did then say if I want him to use the other machine or type, he will charge more (which I realize is up to the doctor etc)
I am seeking an honest answer on this, because I feel like everything I have read indicates the laser or ultrasound causes less bruising, less down time etc. BUT to have this doctor say that its LESS precise than the other method...I want to make the best decision possible. If it helps, I am looking for lipo on my upper and lower stomach, flank/upper buttock area, side of my thighs and inner thighs/knees. Thank you
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. The basic techniques of liposuction are similar no matter what technique is used. The original liposuction as described by Illouz in Paris was straight liposuction and the results were excellent in the properly trained hands. Techniques using laser and liposuction have been used to try to improve the results. But, again, it is the experience in liposuction of a plastic surgeon that produces the best results no matter what technique is used. Your plastic surgeon sounds like he is being very honest with you. The final result in liposuction depends more on the surgeon's experience than on the technique that is used. Another opinion may be something that you should consider. I am available if you have more questions.