Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
50734646

I got hit in the nose last September. Some of the swelling

Customer Question

I got hit in the nose last September. Some of the swelling between my upper lip and bottom of nose has never gone away. It makes my face appear different and this bothers me I did some research ( not that I'm saying this is correct because I'm not a doctor) and think I may have fractured my nasal spine Is there anything I could do to make the swelling between my upper lip and bottom of nose go away
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. The only way to know for sure if you had a nasal fracture is to have an x-Ray of the nasal area. Mm even if it is not fractured. Sometimes the swelling can take 6-12 months to resolve. You really should have an exam by either a board certified plastic surgeon or otorhinolaryngologist (ENT). Unfortunately there is nothing to do to make the swelling dissipate except more time. I am available if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. To be honest I did go to a plastic surgeon a few months ago. He felt that area of my face then told me I had a broken nasal spine, (That's where I got the idea from), but he did not take an X-ray as u said would be needed. Could he have been wrong. Also after telling me this he said wait for it to heal and maybe the broken bone will quote " refuse". So I understand what ur saying and nothing could be broken at all, but if a piece of bone is not located where it should be what could I do to fix it
It would be nice to confirm a nasal fracture with an X-Ray. Sometimes surgery is not necessary if the bone is not out of line. In that case, the bone will heal without surgery. But, if you still have a lot of swelling, an exam is warranted.