Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a Panasonic phone system model KX-TGDA20. The message

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic phone system model KX-TGDA20. The message system is full and I don't know how to erase old messages I have lost the manual
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: It is a Panasonic model no. KX-TGDA20
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just need to know how to erase old messages on the full. It is telling me that message system is full
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

Can you tell me how you have been checking/erasing messages previously? With the buttons on the main base station perhaps?
If you pick up the line and listen carefully, do you hear a few beeps or a fast/stutter tone prior to the dial tone?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The phone told me I had a message and I played it when I received it. I never erased any messages so I don't know how to do that either.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

Could you please answer the specific questions I asked above, I need those particular details to properly answer you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I do hear a fast stutter before the dial tone
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

Can you tell me how you have been checking messages previously?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
if the phone said new message I would play it, but as I said I have never erased any. Let me check the main station later
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

I am asking you HOW you played it.

Did you press the play (triangle) button on the main base?
Did you dial some numbers on the handset?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I played it using the button under the message alert. This was not from the base phone
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

OKay, the beeps and indication of messages full are coming from a voicemail service provided by the phone company.

I was trying to determine if you are purposely using voicemail, or if you had been intending to use the answering machine instead, which is handled differently.

Pick up the line (dial tone) and dial your full 10 digit home phone number.

This will put you into the voicemail system where you can listen to and then delete the messages. You'll need to listen to the audible prompts for information on how to do this, typically it will say something like press 3 to delete or press 7 to delete, for example.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,