Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Cannot call out, no dial tone and phone does not ring when

Customer Question

Cannot call out, no dial tone and phone does not ring when incoming calls are made, it rings continuously on the callers phone but not on mine. Had this Vtech phone for 8 years, installed new batteries in the handsets November 2016. Phone is Vtech Model # CS6129-41. This unit has performed very well until now. The handset reads "no line" so I contacted Comcast and they verified that their line was OK, they suggested that I call the phone manufacturer for assistance. Do I need to replace the phones? I have a Vtech answering machine that has never failed in over 20 years, so I don't think it's a problem with the phone. Please advise.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Purchased it in May 2009
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Lost dial tone last Friday, I unplugged it for a few minutes and then reconnected, no change. Reset the modem and Comcast ran a check on the phone line twice.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just need to know if I need to buy a new phone, Thank you
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 days ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Do you have a DIFFERENT phone available - to connect to the phone line and TEST if a different phone will work when connected?

OR

2) Do you have a friend or neighbor close by where you can take the Vtech phone (base and one handset), and TEST it there?

3) Do you have ANY other devices or phones (NOT part of the Vtech system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks