Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Am years old and alone and my phone will not work. It buzzes

Customer Question

am 69 years old and alone and my phone will not work. It buzzes and says that it is in use. I have tried everything I can think of in book but don't know what to do. Can you help me please?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: I think about 4 years old....
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Apparently it started yesterday but I thought was ok and have not tried to make a call until now. I went to try to clear some snow and left the receiver on the table and then hung it up. but before that I talked my friend and there was this buzzing. we call back and forth to see if it would stop and it did not. I have unplugged and replugged the phones. I have check the jacks. there was one downstairs that my tenant took out the little gadget for computers so I put one back in. I accidently came across this email address trying to push all the menu buttons. The phone says Charging and then it says that the line is in use.....
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything except that I am very scared and am technologoly challenged.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)