Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Model el51203.....the person I am calling cannot hear me but

Customer Question

Model el51203.....the person I am calling cannot hear me but I can still hear them. I unplugged both charger bases, unplugged the phone thing from the wall, unplugged the phone batteries. Waited a few minutes. Attached everything after about 3 minutes. Did not fix the problem. Phones are only about 4 months old. Don't have my receipt or boxes anymore.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: About 4 months old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 2 weeks. Have disconnected charger bases, the phone jack from the wall and removed batteries from both phones. Waited about 3 minutes and then reconnected everything. Tested phone and the other person still could not hear me.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have two phones on the same system. It is happening with both.no other phones or a fax. I subscribe to Comcast. No dsl service.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Okay can you start by unplugging power to your comcast modem/gateway, let it sit unplugged for 5 minutes, then replug, and give it about 5 more minutes to start back up, then test the ATT phones again and let me know the results.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Didn't work
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for trying,

at this point it is still not possible from a diagnostic perspective to know if it is a comcast problem or an ATT problem. Both are very common, the only way to isolate this would be to test another phone, preferably just a basic corded or wall phone, on the line. Could you dig an old one out of storage, or borrow one from a neighbor for a few minutes to test?