Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I recently had to purchase a new phone for my home. I bought

Customer Question

Good afternoon, I recently had to purchase a new phone for my home. I bought the exact phone I had before. I followed the directions on installing. I've done everything correct but the screen is stating no line nd there isn't a dial tone. I know my line is working for the screen is also stating 17 missed calls. Also when my home line rings the caller is displayed on my tv. Any suggestions?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Less then 2 monhs old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I'm not sure as I don't use my home phone often.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

In such a situation my experience suggests:

1. consider what other devices are also on the same phone line. (How many, and which devices?)

2. examine whether the phone line cord, from your phone service or jack, goes to the correct jack of two on the phone itself. Plugged into the wrong one of those two, it may not work right. (On Canon products the line from the phone jack must go to the 'L' or 'Line' jack, not the 'P' or 'Phone' jack, which is for a voice phone handset or an answering machine etc.)

3. the last possible cause is, that your new phone is in fact defective. In which case, return it promptly with the sales receipt in hand, for an exchange for another of the same or similar type/value, before the return/exchange period runs out (which it can do as soon as 7 days after purchase.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.