Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have. a v-Tech model CS6229-4. When the answering machine

Customer Question

I have. a v-Tech model CS6229-4. When the answering machine picks up, the message does not play. How do I reset the phone so that the announcement will play. Thanks-Jeff
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: My bad, it is the one is part of the phone system
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has gone on for several weeks. I've tried going in through the answering system mode on the phone, but with no luck. I am an admitted klutz when it comes to things electronic. The phone will ring, the answering system will pick up, but there is no announcement for the caller to leave the name and number (we use the default announcement.)
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 13 days ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) How many rings is the system set to - before the system picks up the call?

2) Can you LOWER the number of rings and then place a TEST CALL to your system, to see if the announcement is played then?

3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
1. It is set for 4 rings.
2. We reset it for 2 rings and it worked. Then we changed it back to 4 rings and it is now working properly.
3. We are with AT&TThanks for the help.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 13 days ago.

Hi again and thanks for doing that TEST for me.

What the results tell us is that you most likely have a "Voicemail system" turned ON - from your service provider - and that system is taking the calls BEFORE the Answering system (in your phone) has a chance to get the calls.

So what will need to be done is either "pick one system" to take all your messages - OR - set the number of rings on these two different system in such a way as your home system has a chance to take the calls first.

To "pick one system", simple turn OFF the system you don't want to use, and leave the other one ON.

To set the number of rings on each system:

Typically, you will want a DIFFERENCE in the number of rings of AT LEAST TWO rings - between the home system and the voicemail system.

Does that make sense?

Please let me know which way you would like to handle this or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 days ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)