Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

Is there any way to retrieve a deleted answering system

Customer Question

Is there any way to retrieve a deleted answering system recording
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: CS6229-2 Would be about 4-5 yrs. old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: This is not an on going problem. I deleted a message & now realize that was a mistake. Would like, if possible, to pull it back up so we can return the call.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Unfortunately, the short answer here is no, this cannot be done, at least not in any practical terms. I know this may be disappointing to hear and that the lost message may be very important to you.

There is no mechanism for retrieving a deleted message, you cannot restore them yourself. Once they are deleted, the messages are, for all intents and purposes, gone. These machines are very basic, and don't have a "recycle bin" that can be accessed like your computer does.

If it was recent and no new messages have overwritten it, you have a better chance of recovery though. To do so, you'd need to take the machine in to a data recovery specialist. There are often local shops, with names like Data Doctors, they specialize in retrieving lost information from computer hard drives, memory cards, etc. They may be able to pull something off, if the messages haven't been overwritten, though the process is time consuming (often many weeks), and expensive (several hundred $), and would require dismantling the machine to the point it couldn't be used again. In theory, if they could extract the files, they'd copy them to a CD for you for long term storage.

So overall, while this is a remote possibility, the probability is high that you'll never be able to get these back. I apologize for being the bearer of bad news here, unfortunately there is no other practical way around this, these machines simply aren't designed for long term archival and don't make any accommodations at all for un-deleting, which I've confirmed previously with engineers at all the major phone system manufacturers, as this is a common problem.

Also, while you may not be able to get these messages back, a suggestion I'd make for the future is to switch from an answering machine to a voicemail service through your phone/cable company. Especially in cases of digital phone service, you can often access and archive your messages online, which would allow you to save any important messages to your computer or a disc, to ensure their long term preservation.

If you are prepared to spend $500+ to have the memory extracted, I can recommend some firms that may be able to take this case on, just let me know.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Waiting for reply
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

I sent you a detailed reply moments after your question was posted, I will send again, or you can scroll up to see it:

My apologies for the news.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 15 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.