Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a radio shack cordless phone base unit that doesn't

Customer Question

I have a radio shack cordless phone base unit that doesn't power up but an e4 shows up on the screen when I plug it in it is model# *****
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: I believe it was purchased around 2006.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: About two years I have tried holding down delete and plugging the power cord up but the e4 showed up again
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you tried checking if the AC wall adapter for the base unit is able to supply the 9V DC requirement?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have another base unit that is identical to the unit that works fine I took that power cord plugged it in to the troubled unit and the e4 still shows up on the screen
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information on what has been tried.

Unfortunately, this is the only easy user doable check as all others would be internal to the circuitry of the base unit.

Prior to the e4 display, did all display lighted up something like a series of 8s?

Still, are you then considering to attempt a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?