Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

Just purchased a new Panasonic phone system for my home and

Customer Question

just purchased a new Panasonic phone system for my home and I recorded the greeting message however when someone calls the phone tells the caller I have not set up my voice mail. not sure what to do.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: link to cell Bluetooth convergence solution KX-TG585
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I had an older Panasonic phone system and found out yesterday that the message any caller got said the mail box was not set up so I thought it was broken and I went and bought a this new one today. so I don't know why it is saying that I have not set it up. however about 2 weeks ago I had trouble with my phone line internet working and had a tech out to fix it and in the process they upgraded my speed and I don't know it that caused this issue
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just need to get the phone to answer so people can leave a message
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This is not actually a Panasonic problem either with the old or the new phone.

What is happening is that your callers are reaching a voicemail service provided by the phone company. It is answering before your home answering machine has a chance to pick up the line, which is why your callers hear a different greeting, and why you get no messages when checking your home answering machine.

The solution in that case is to contact the phone company and have them cancel/remove the voicemail service from your account, OR as an alternative, you could just stop using the answering machine and use the voicemail function instead. You can record your own greeting on the voicemail if you like, and voicemail actually has several advantages: it is always on, meaning it will work even if the power goes out, while the answering machine could stop taking or playing messages if it is ever damaged or unplugged. VM will also work even if you're on another call, with answering machine, the 2nd caller would just get a busy signal. For these reasons, I tend to recommend voicemail over using your own machine, simply because it tends to be more reliable and accessible. The choice is yours of course though.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.