Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I just purchased a new Panasonic digital cordless phone and

Customer Question

I just purchased a new Panasonic digital cordless phone and going through the setup options, I am unable to get the answering machine to work and also not able to increase from 2 to 4 rings.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base and START with KX-TG. NOTE: The model MAY also be printed on the box or package that came with the system.

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1.KX-TGC220
2. Century Link
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - let me send you a couple of things, which is a link to the FULL manual for your system - in electronic (PDF) format - and a link to a video on how to set the number of rings.

Back soon with those resources.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Here is the manual link:

KX-TGD220
http://tinyurl.com/KX-TGD220

Here is a video that shows how to set the number of rings for MOST Panasonic cordless systems. NOTE: The handset may not match your system perfectly, but the steps are the same.

Click Here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV702EQAoec

To turn ON the answering system, the easiest step is to press the ANSWER ON/OFF button - on the MAIN base.

Please give those steps a try and let me know your results.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** and the manual conatin the same steps that we went through. Just tried it again and no luck. Does this mean it has something to do with our phone carrier?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Can you tell me WHAT HAPPENED - when you TRY to set the number of rings - and then place a TEST CALL to your system (from an outside phone)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It just rings twice, even though I saved the number of rings to be 4, and the answering machine does not come on even though I have saved that as "on". There is a long pause and then a couple of beeps.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

OK - that DOES sound like your service provider's "Voicemail system" is picking up the call.

Either that OR there is a DIFFERENT system connected in the house - that is picking up the call. So do you have ANY OTHER devices attached to this same phone line (phone number) - in ANY other rooms or living areas (such as a garage or basement)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No - I will contact Century Link and see if they can help....thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

OK - that would be the next correct step - assuming that it IS their voicemail system taking the calls.

If you need contact information for Century Link, I have links to that below.

http://www.centurylink.com/help/contact/

Customize services CHAT:
http://www.centurylink.com/help/chat/

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 27 days ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)