Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

The message will not play. is set up and answering machine

the greeting message will not play. Greeting is set up and answering machine light is on.Message plays that box is not set up. I have Panasonic digital cordless answering system.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Panasonic KX-TG4731
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Was working several years. Recently stopped. I rerecorded message, turned answering system on. Nothing I try works. I can replay my greeting. It's in there.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Century Link recently changed my phone service but I don't know how that's connected. The timing is however.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

What is happening is that your callers are reaching a voicemail service provided by the phone company. It is answering before your home answering machine has a chance to pick up the line, which is why you hear a different greeting about the mailbox not setup, and why you get no messages when checking your home answering machine.

The solution in that case is to contact the phone company and have them cancel/remove the voicemail service from your account, OR as an alternative, you could just stop using the answering machine and use the voicemail function instead. You can record your own greeting on the voicemail if you like, and voicemail actually has several advantages: it is always on, meaning it will work even if the power goes out, while the answering machine could stop taking or playing messages if it is ever damaged or unplugged. VM will also work even if you're on another call, with answering machine, the 2nd caller would just get a busy signal. For these reasons, I tend to recommend voicemail over using your own machine, simply because it tends to be more reliable and accessible. The choice is yours of course though.

If you need more info on how to use the voicemail I can explain that as well.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I use the voicemail.

If century link is your phone company, you'll dial your full 10 digit home phone number, from the home line. This routes you into the VM system.

You may be prompted to enter a pin - if you don't have one look on your phone bill, and if it doesn't show there you'll have to call century link to provide it for you.

There will then be voice prompts that guide you through listening to messages and recording a greeting.