Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Caller cannot hear me. I cannot call out. CS5111-2, Over

Caller cannot hear me. I cannot call out.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: CS5111-2
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Over night. disconnected power and waited 15 sec before reconnection no change.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thanks.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHEN did this issue begin, or was first noticed.

2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?

3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) If you have ANY other phones (not part of this system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Today
1 today
2 two same issue
3 attacks
4 no other phones

Hi again and thanks for that information.

May I ask if you can CONFIRM the full service provider's name, or company?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** thanks

NOTE: if you are seeing ANY additional "offers" - such as a phone call service - please understand that those are sent BY THE SITE - and not me.

Continuing here:

I saw your response to my provider question as "attacks".

Did some kind of auto-correct make a change to what you entered - perhaps "AT&T"?

please let me know so we can proceed.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
AT&T

OK - very good.

Now may I ask if this is an "old style" (direct wire) service, OR

is it a "U-verse" based phone service (digital-based)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is AT&T. It is U-verse based. The phone began working properly yesterday and there is no more need for your assistance. I'll blame the problem on my service. the phone is roughly 20 years old. Thank you.

I did SUSPECT that the "real issue" is with the "phone service" - especially since you just mentioned you have "U-verse" phone service - which is "digital" in nature. This is different from the older-style "analog" phone systems, where there were only "wires & cables" between your home and the provider's main phone offices - somewhere around your town or city.

Let me explain a little bit more of what I have been seeing in recent years - since "digital" phone services have been used more and more.

When I hear the symptoms you mentioned - specifically that ONE SIDE of the conversation can not be heard - 80% of the time this type of issue was traced back to the phone service provider's equipment (vs. home equipment & wiring).

BUT, when a "digital" phone service is involved (like U-verse or most "cable companies"), that percentage goes UP - to about 95% of the time - or HIGHER.

So the MOST LIKELY CAUSE of this issue is the U-verse equipment or the "service" that is driving that equipment. Now specifically, you probably have a "large BOX" in your home that is a "gateway" for ALL of the services you get from AT&T (phone, TV, internet, etc.). And quite often that gateway needs to be "updated" with the latest version of control software, so that ALL of your services are up to date and working.

This update USUALLY happens automatically at various times (usually in the middle of the night, and you would not notice that it has happened, UNLESS something changes in one of your services, or if an update did not get applied properly. When that happens, one (or more) of the services can start to break down - like what is happening with your phone service.

If this happens AGAIN (in the future) what I believe needs to be done is one of two things:
1) "Reset" your home "gateway" device or
2) Have the AT&T Technical support folks reset that gateway for you.

If you want to try to reset it yourself, it is really quite easy. All you need to do is LOCATE the gateway (the LARGE BOX with a bunch of lights on the front and several cables in the back), locate the POWER SUPPLY or POWER CABLE in the back of the box, and disconnect the power for a FULL TWO MINUTES. Then reconnect the power and WAIT another 2-3 minutes - for the gateway to "reload & reboot" ALL of the services and any software updates that may be needed.

I mention this because this is something that most folks can do, and more than 90% of the time this fixes such issues like you are having.

But if you are more comfortable contacting the AT&T Technical Support folks, then you can do that using the main contact number I have below. NOTE: The Technical Support folks are there 24 hours a day, so they should be able to help you with this issue at any time of the day or night. Once you get to a support person, just tell them that you have the U-verse phone service and that you can NOT HEAR the person on the other end of the phone when calls are attempted.

AT&T Customer Support : 1(###) ###-####/strong>

NOTE: You will have to call them via a WORKING phone - such as your cell phone or neighbor's phone.

I hope this helps explain what I suspect happened, so this can be resolved quickly IF it happens again. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)