Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Our company uses the Panasonic KX-T7731 phone system. Needed

Customer Question

Our company uses the Panasonic KX-T7731 phone system. Needed to replace one of the phones. Plugged in brand new phone but screen is blank and is not functioning. Is there a procedure to using a new phone such as re booting system. The manual does not explain about new phones.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: The system is 7 years old as well as all phones which there are 6. One phone started to drop calls on our 1st line.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We just received new phone today and plugged in since the screen is blank does the system need to be reboot to have the system recognize the new phone. If so, will rebooting affect the other phones
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

This is a fairly simple case, actually.

The phone ought to show something on its screen when you give it power. The phone line to your phone system does not have to be connected for that to happen... at least the phone's screen should light up, etc.

If it does not light up, check your power adapter for the phone. Also check whether you have it powered from a good outlet - or move it to where there is another outlet, and try to power it On without any phone line. It should light up, if not show something while starting up also (I have to be vague, since you have not said what maker/model the new phone is.)

If it still shows nothing, some part of the new phone is defective, from supplier/vendor/store, and it should be packed up and returned for a refund or an exchange, as defective-from-store.

(One additional point: if it simply lights up but shows a blank-screen, even when connected to a line, you may have a problem with the line itself. Try it on a different line, if that could be the case, to see whether the line is the problem, rather than the phone.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.