Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Need help ok? Have a Panasonic KX-TG585 phone system with 5

Customer Question

Need help ok?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Have a Panasonic KX-TG585 phone system with 5 handsets.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Setting it up tomorrow, but need a quick ?
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, need to know if this model is "WIRELESS", meaning can the base unit be connected to an ATT wireless modem/router
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
anyone there?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hello Gary & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

I'm not exactly clear on what you have going on, so may I ask:

1) Do you have a CURRENT landline phone service provider and if so, is the Panasonic system connected to that service?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

I'm here - did you see my question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg are you there?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Yes - I'm here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No do not want phone call. Need a simple email ?? answered, ok?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

OPTIONAL requests are sent by the site - and not me.

Just turn those down and type your responses here - as you have been doing.

Let me repeat my post.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg: Not sure if you are there, so I'll ask my ? and hope for the best. First, I already paid Just Answer the $5 + $26 for this ? so please be sure that this has been taken care of ok?Allright, my questions are simple I think? I have a Panasonic KX-TG585 phone system, I just purchased. It is still in the box?My question is this = "Is this model able to be a wireless model. Meaning yes I now it does Bluetooth, but I have an ATT U-Verse wireless system and now wanting to put this new phone system attached to the ATT Wireless box I already have, and also a ATT U-verse router/modem. Just need to know if this model can be wireless?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

2) Please tell me MORE about this "ATT wireless modem/router". For example, do you have that piece of equipment yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am already hooked up to my att U-Verse Modem and wireless device. All works fine with my TV and ATT is coming tomorrow to hook up a phone system for me. I purchased this model in the hopes that they can use it as my home phone system (has 5 handsets too). So need to know if this model is able to do wireless or is bluetooth all that is needed??
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Do your "ATT modem/router" (that you currently have) look like the attached image?

If so, please take a look at the BACK and see if there is a CONNECTOR labeled "PHONE 1" (Or PH 1)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got your email but this is getting too difficult here. So I'll alsk you, if I have you call me does this mean I am going to pay the $29 I already paid through Just Answer + and additional $26 for your call too???
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

We experts have no access to ANY of your account information, including any deposit and such. But generally if you accept one of the OPTIONAL requests, that IS AN ADDITIONAL FEE.

Also, you should VIEW and send ALL of your replies HERE - -on this page. Emails are just for YOUR convenience - to let you know I replied HERE.

Does that make sense?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Also, it takes me some TIME to access a working phone, so would really prefer if we stick on this TEXT/CHAT screen - to communicate.

So did you see the image I sent, and have that modem in your home?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg: I already paid someone with Just Answer $5 + $24 = $29 as it has already been taken out of my checking account. All. I want is a simple question answered. but just a moment ago, someone else popped up from Just Answer telling me to pay money and she will send my request to someone. So again I'll ask, do you know how this works or what, because I already paid someone??
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

As mentioned earlier, we experts have no access to ANY of your account information, including any deposit and such.

We also have no knowledge of "someone else popped up" and asking for more money.

If that was a PREMIUM SERVICE request, those can be closed.

If you have ANY questions about site operation, those must be directed to customer service here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg: "NO" I do not see any picture, or attachment. In fact sir, this is really tiring, I am sorry as I just need to know if this model of Panasonic is a wireless system, that is all I need?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, so does this mean I paid Just answer $29, and then I am paying you additionally the amount of $26. Is this how it works for a simple question?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sticking with this email here Greg in the hopes that you are receiving my text as well. But still need to know - "Do I still need to pay you $26 for a question?"
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Gary,

We experts can NOT answer ANY questions about "site operation or fees".

Back to your question about the phone system.

The term "wireless" is often MISUSED and MISUNDERSTOOD.

"Wireless" generally refers to a "cell phone networks/technology"

This Panasonic system is primarily a CORDLESS Phone system, and this particular system also have the "link-to-cell" feature. That feature is INTENDED to connect to CELL PHONE.

So if you are getting a "U-verse" phone service, 99.9% of the time, you will physically connect a PHONE CORD from the BASE UNIT if the Panasonic to a connector at the BACK of the MAIN U-verse modem.

Does that make sense?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Can you CONFIRM that an AT&T PERSON is coming to your home - while you are home - to add this phone service?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry Greg, this isn't going to work. It has nothing to do with ATT. I just needed to know if this model phone system can be setup as a wireless set. I got rid of my (POTTS) landline and am having ATT setup a new wireless line that my home phone system can work with. This is all that I am asking.Thanks anyway!!!
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Gary(?),

I am TRYING to communicate with you HERE - on this page - and get MORE DETAILS about the service you WILL be getting.

So let me ask again:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg: I came across an answer you gave and yes what you said makes sense! However what I am really asking is that if I have a base set that has both an RJ11 (POTTS) landline and connection for a DSL/ADSL plus able to connect to cell phones, then does this mean I should have no problem in hooking up this new panasonic base station to ATT's wireless box. (The ATT wireless box is in my office already connected to an ATT U-Verse modem). Then I am hoking the phone base station in the living room but without any wires period. (or what I consider wireless)I will assume it is the same box they use to hook up the wireless TV boxes as well. I am disconnecting the RJ-11 POTTS line completely and making a new connection by joining the ATT - UVerse wireless system for which i have one wireless DVR box and one wireless TV box. I am hoping that this model of Panasonic TK-TG585SK will do the trick, or if not what phone system do I need to ask for.Yes I will be at home tomorrow for ATT as they are scheduled out here between 1 & 3PM. So if you have an answer to this question or able to understand what I am asking, then I most certainly would be grateful. I am either forced to go to Best Buy today to look for another phone system or wait until tomorrow and then ask the ATT rep if this phone system will connect wireless (NO RJ11 - POTTS). But if not, then I have to jam down to Best Buy and try and find one that will work, all while the ATT tech is here. Cannot wait another two weeks for another ATT appointment time.This is why I am asking this question here on Sunday 10-16. So I can be prepared for ATT tomorrow!Thanks Greg, hopefully this all makes sense to you now??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
PS. Greg- This model I have comes with a base station (phone) and (5) cordless handsets. I need all of these for this one task!
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

I see you have posted a LONG set of details, and I will read them and get back to you in a bit.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

After reading through your last response, I believe there may be some further confusion about terminology (wireless vs. cordless vs. Bluetooth, etc.), and also an ASSUMPTION or two, that may not be correct.

To discuss this in a thorough and timely manor, I'm going to send my own "Phone call request" - for the lowest amount I can - so that we can discuss this over the phone.

NOTES:

• You will need to supply a phone number of a CURRENTLY WORKING PHONE - so we are able to talk.
  • If you decide to accept this phone call request, I will be credited a portion of the original deposited fees plus a portion of the additional fee for the phone call request. If you are NOT comfortable with any of these fees, DO NOT accept the call request (close it or turn it down), and then post back here that you have done that.

Let me know & Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg: Thanks anyway, but I"ll take my chances with ATT tech and that I have the right phone choice. If not, then I'll have to rush down to Best Buy and get something.Thanks again!Gary
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

You're quite welcome Gary,

I suspect you have a phone system that WILL work with the new equipment the U-verse folks bring along and install.

BUT, be aware that MOST LIKELY the Panasonic Main Base Unit (or ANY phone you can buy locally) WILL need to be connected by the PHONE CORD - to either the new box OR to the existing phone wiring - depending on how the tech does the installation.

And I would also HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you have the tech connect the Panasonic Main Base unit and TEST that the phone system is WORKING - to your satisfaction - BEFORE they leave.

NOTE: Some techs don't like to have folks "looking over their shoulder" or asking a lot of questions (because they usually get paid by the number or jobs they do each day), so just be aware of that.

Please let me know what happens - when you can.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you today.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-