Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Help - i have a 4-phone expandable cordless telephone. When

Customer Question

Help - i have a 4-phone expandable cordless telephone. When i try to make a call i just get static and a message that the line is use. At the top of the phone it says ECO - can you help?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base.

2) Does this "static" happen on ALL handset (assuming you TESTED)?

3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) If you have ANY other devices that are NOT part of this system (phones, fax, etc.) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

5) WHEN was this static first noticed?

Please REPLY using the box below.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
KX-TG4731All four handsetsAT&T - they tested the line already and said it is a phone issueDon't have any other devices connectedThis has happened before and it has always been the line in use issue with the phone - it's like the backup line was flashed and a call didn't finish - it has been going on for an hou
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - is the AT&T line a "wired" line - directly to your home OR perhaps a U-verse based system?

Also, what is the AGE of this phone system, and gave the batteries in the handsets EVER been replaced (with new batteries)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is uverse and our tvs and dvrs are working finephone system is 5 yrs old and we have replaced the batteries recentlyThis is a flash line issue, not batteries or phones - there is a clear message on the phone that says other line in use
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

OK - when you say "flash line", may I ask what you mean by that phrase?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is when you hit the flash button to talk on the other lineCan you help me? If not I am going to go to bed and call Panasonic in the morning
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

I may be able to help, if we have time to troubleshoot the issue.

NOTE: When you press the FLASH button, the "other line" you are "switching to" is really a "call waiting" line (or feature) - of the phone SERVICE.

So if you suspect something like that, we will need to look into either RESETTING the entire phone system (to clear possible stuck conditions in the system) OR resetting your U-verse MAIN "box" (gateway really).

Do you have TIME to try either of these steps?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have unplugged every charger - how do you reset the phone system
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Resetting the phone system takes about 15 minutes, Resetting the U-verse box takes about 5 minutes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have to get up in four hours so I will call Panasonic tomorrow - thought this would be easy - thanks