Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.

I moved my 3-phone Panasonic phones to new locations and now

Customer Question

I moved my 3-phone Panasonic phones to new locations and now I cannot get a dial tone on any of them.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello Martha,

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Multiple handsets, none are receiving a dial tone; the line is a Comcast land line. No dsl service
Model of phone is: KX-TG 9542B
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the info, Martha.

What I meant about other phones is anything not part of the panasonic system, such as a regular corded or all phone for example.

When you say you moved, is this a new home, or just to a different room?
If the same house, can you move the main base station back to its original location, and tell me if it still works there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No other phones on my system. Will move the base system back to original location. Don't go away. Have moved phones to original location; they are now charging. Do I have a battery problem?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I'll be right here.

It is not likely a battery problem,

either you didn't hook the new one up correctly, or the new phone jack you connected to is not live.

Test if you can get a dial tone now, with them back in the original location

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is NOT a new system. Phone jacks have been in service a long time. No tone. Have moved the phones back to original location as you suggested.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I know it is not a new system, but with a comcast line they don't necessarily provide service to ever phone jack in the house.

So even on the original location, you get no dial tone?
If so, that is more indicative of a line problem than a panasonic problem. Initially, please unplug power to your comcast modem for 60+ seconds to reboot, then check for dial tone after a few more minutes and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess the Comcast modem you are referring to brings in the TV, computer, etc. and I am not about to unplug it even if I knew what it looked like. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Yes that is correct, it controls everything.

It is a single box, probably near your computer (may be a combined wifi/modem device).

If you can't do that, we can skip it for now, but then the next step would require testing another phone. Do you have anything else there, an old wall or corded phone, which you can plug in where the panasonic was and test for a dial tone on it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I looked for an old land line phone I used to have but cannot find it. So I will go out and buy one so I can at least test the line; and if it works I will also buy new batteries and it that does not do it, I will dump the system for good.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

That is exactly what I would do as well, but I don't think this is a battery issue so I'd hold off on that.

Test the other first and let me know what happens, there is a reset process we can try on the panasonic, but this isn't battery related.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I called my phone number from my cell phone. It "rang" on the cell phone as if the phone was ringing in the house.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Okay if you aren't getting a busy signal or voicemail, that is more of an indicator that it is a panasonic issue than a line issue.

Lets next try to fully reset the system:

1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went through the procedure that you suggested; no dial tone for any of the phones.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What kind of batteries do you suggest for the phones?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trying,

based on your calling test, this does indicate more of a hardware issue than a line fault.

If you can easily get another phone to test, it would still be beneficial (borrow from a neighbor perhaps)

If you have to buy one anyway, you may as well just buy a new cordless system. Here is one I'd recommend:

After replacing, if the new one has the problem too (or a borrowed tested one) then you know it is a comcast issue and can call them out to repair on their end, in that case you can just return the new phone if not needed and get your money back. If the new phone works, then you know the old panasonic was faulty and needed to be replaced anyway.

I would not bother replacing the batteries.

If the handsets light up, or give any indicator messages on their displays, then it is not a battery issue.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

They actually just use a rechargeable AAA battery, if you wanted to test first, you can swap in a set of regular AAA batteries to see if it gets a dial tone, just don't try to charge them.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

If you do end up needing to replace the batteries then, these are the appropriate ones to use:

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this, Martha?