Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have an NEC Electra Elite 48 with NEC DTU-8D-2 phones,

Customer Question

I have an NEC Electra Elite 48 with NEC DTU-8D-2 phones, installed new approx 14 years ago. My husband has a hard time hearing thru the phones. Im thinking it is because the phones are so old. Is there a new compatible phone available for this system?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Original with the system....14 yrs old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: His hearing has deteriorated...uses hearing aids and usually speaker phone. I've exchanged phones in the house, but to no benefit.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

All Electra Elite phone stations have a built-in earphone jack.

If your phone stations are Electra Elite, you can hook up any PC speaker system to that earphone jack, and you will get amplified sound, as loud as you can turn up the master volume controls on the speakers (which, if they are not the cheapest, will have a volume control on the master unit of the two speakers.)

If your phone stations are not Electra Elite, then you need to determine what phone stations, with amplifiable headsets or amplifiable speakers, can be used with your Electra Elite 48's lines.

From what I read, it seems the Elite 48 system uses analog lines, not digital. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, and if you don't have Electra Elite stations with earphone jacks, then I will find you the right phone station type to use for the purpose of amplified sound for the hard of hearing.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.