Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

It rained heavily here in Venice FL and as sometimes happen

Customer Question

It rained heavily here in Venice FL and as sometimes happen my landline in now stuck showing "Line in Use" and all I have is static on the line. In the past this usually resolves itself after awhile. But I'm dying to know why it happens and what I can do about (BTW the landline is throughthe Frontier/Fios package
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1) Yes
2) Nothing using same line
3) I am not sure - its part of the package/bundle with Frontier (Verizon)
4) No
5) V-Tech CS6629-3My suspicion is, as in the past, there is a short and then when it dries out it will, as in the past, spontaneously start working again
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the info,

since this is a cable based phone system, there may be a fault in the connection if routed through your modem. Unplug power to the modem for 60+ seconds to reboot.

If no change, we can try a reset process on the phone as well:

1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

If no change with either, that points to a line fault, and that, as you suspect, is on their end and something intermittent that they would need to trace down and ultimately repair.

If it happens only when it rains, that is clearly a line issue, but something you'd have to call them on quickly so they could respond while the conditions still exist.

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.