Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

I have a Panasonic Home Phone KX-TGE260. All the hand sets

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Home Phone KX-TGE260. All the hand sets say “Check tel line.” In troubleshooting, I have plugged into a different outlet; i have tried a different phone chord. (I am using an OOMA phone system, so the phone line plugs into the OOMA on one end and into the base unit at the other.
I have tried removing the batteries and reinserting them after disconnecting the AC to the base unit. OOMA says that their system is working fine and that this is a phone issue.
What do I do now?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Sherry, is it possible for you to plug a different phone into the ooma base, preferably a basic corded/wall type phone, and let me know if you can get a dial tone there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I don’t have anything else but my cell phone. I am not getting a dial tone on any of my hand sets. if i call the number with my cell, it rings on the OOMA and then the OOma replies that the number is ***** no answering.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Testing with another device is unfortunately the only possible way of diagnosing this.

This could be a hardware fault in the panasonic base station, or a fault with the ooma gateway or service, so testing the line with another device is the only way to isolate that so that it can be properly addressed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I can;t believe that I paid money for this dead end.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

There are other steps we can try on the panasonic,

but there is a 50/50 chance that is just wasting time and effort if addressing the wrong cause

We can certainly try if you wish though, but the best approach to this is to get another device to test, even if you can just borrow a phone from a neighbor for a few minutes, buy a cheap corded phone at walmart for $10, etc.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. i am done.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome.

Have a nice day.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi Sherry, your question is still open so I wanted to follow up and see if you needed any more help with this, or if you were able to test the ooma line further with another device?