Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Will not accept international calls, off and on for several

Customer Question

will not accept international calls
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: off and on for several months, The phones ring, you can see the number But there is no one there when we try to pick up.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: The switch is an adtrans 7100. dont know its age there are several phones and 4 lines in the system.They all do the same thing so it must be the switch.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing yet. In the past we have had the lines provider reset there system which would correct the problem for a few days but it would go back to doing the same thing again. They now say it is our switch system.
JA: The phone expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No Thank you.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That Adtrans switch is a fairly expensive item to replace. I think it is right to say that checks should be made as to its being really at fault, before you replace it - unless there is another unit, a swap unit, available to put in its place temporarily just to see if that cures the problem, of course!

When you pick up on such internationally originated calls, is the line simply dead? or is there a background buzz? a dial tone, busy signal, anything?

Thank you for your response (please use Reply To Expert to respond, next time, though - it's more efficient), as follows:

We have polycom phones, running through a netvanta 7100 and service provided by Time Warner Cable. Incoming international phone calls do cause the phones to ring, but when we pick up the call, there is no one there.
In the past, having Time Warner reset the phones generally makes the international calls come through for a time, but then the problem comes back. Time Warner claims it is a problem with our phone system. So first, how do I fix this problem permanently? Is there an expert contractor that you'd recommend in the Van Nuys, California area?

I will be responding to this shortly. Thanks for your patience meanwhile...

The recommendation of an expert contractor would be, specifically, a phone systems contractor I would guess.

Possibly North American Telecom might be able to help you. Their phone # is(###) ###-####and they do serve the Van Nuys CA region.

There is also Bentel Communications, they are in Escondido, and their number is

(###) ###-####/p>

And there's Vanguard Telecom, in Van Nuys:

(###) ###-####/p>

If you need others to call on, let me know. And let me know how these recommendations work out, please.