Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a panasonic ka-tga652 cordless phone system - I can

Customer Question

hi I have a panasonic ka-tga652 cordless phone system - I can make calls on all five hand sets, but no one is able to hear me on the other end of the phone. If it were only one handset that has the issue I would blame a faulty set, but bizarrely it is all of them. Momentarily I did get them all to work, but now again none work. Have taken all the batteries out and completely unplugged the base unit, but nothing seems to work
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: all five are approx 4 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: please see the note above
JA: The phone expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: not yet
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base and START with KX-TG, but have no "A" in it (that is for the cordless handsets & chargers).

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) WHEN did this issue first begin - or was noticed?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the phone is a kx-tga651
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we use comcast and the issue first occurred yesterday
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Please check the bottom or back of the MAIN base (the LARGER base that connects to the phone cord), and look for a format of KX-TGxxxx - where xxxx is a 4-digit number.

Also, do you have a "main box" (often called a "router" or "modem"), that Comcast gave you for ALL of your services (TV, internet, and phone)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok let me try again kx-tg6513b
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - that looks like a good model number.

So can you tell me about any "main box" that Comcast may have in your home - where all the services come through?

Do you have one of those boxes, and know where it is (so we can examine it)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what would you like to know ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is an xfinity box the cm mac number is *****
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do you think this is a service issue vs the phone ?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

I would like to know if you HAVE one of those boxes in your home, and if you can access it.

And does it have a few "lights" on the FRONT, and a few cables in the BACK?

And is one of the lights labeled "phone 1" or "Tel 1"?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

And YES, I did suspect this is a SERVICE issue, and not a "phone" issue.

Let me explain a bit:

When I hear the symptoms you mentioned - specifically that ONE SIDE of the conversation can not be heard - 80% of the time this type of issue was traced back to the phone service provider's equipment (vs. home equipment & wiring).

BUT, when a "digital" phone service is involved (like Comcast and most "cable companies"), that percentage goes UP - to about 95% of the time - or HIGHER.

So the MOST LIKELY CAUSE of this issue is the Comcast equipment or the "service" that is driving that equipment. Now specifically, you probably have a "large BOX" in your home that is a "gateway" for ALL of the services you get from Comcast (phone, TV, internet, etc.). And quite often that gateway needs to be "updated" with the latest version of control software, so that ALL of your services are up to date and working.

This update USUALLY happens automatically at various times, and you would not notice that it has happened, UNLESS something changes in one of your services, or if an update did not get applied properly. When that happens, one (or more) of the services can start to break down - like what is happening with your phone service.

So what I believe needs to be done is one of two things:

1) "Reset" your home "gateway" device yourself OR

2) Have the Comcast Technical support folks reset that gateway for you.

If you want to try to reset it yourself, it is really quite easy. All you need to do is LOCATE the gateway (the LARGE BOX with a bunch of lights on the front and several cables in the back), locate the POWER SUPPLY or POWER CABLE in the back of the box, and disconnect the power for a FULL TWO MINUTES. Then reconnect the power and WAIT another 2-3 minutes - for the gateway to "reload & reboot" ALL of the services and any software updates that may be needed.

I mention this because this is something that most folks can do, and more than 90% of the time this fixes such issues like you are having.

BUT if you are more comfortable contacting the Comcast Technical Support folks, then you can do that using the main contact number(s) I have below. NOTE: The Technical Support folks are there 24 hours a day, so they should be able to help you with this issue at any time of the day or night. Once you get to a support person, just tell them that you have the Comcast phone service and that you can NOT HEAR the person on the other end of the phone (or that they can no hear YOU) when calls are attempted.

1-800-COMCAST
1(###) ###-####/p>

1-800-XFINITY
1.***-***-****

NOTE: You MAY have to call them via a WORKING phone - such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone.

I hope this helps explain what I suspect is happening. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it has tel 1 and it is lit up - sorry forgot to press send I would agree with your hypothesis however when I use the phones in intercom mode, rather than making a live call still have the issue. Therefore I believe it is a phone issue not the service
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hmm ... I didn't see any mention of not working in intercom mode.

If that is the case, have ALL handsets been TESTED in intercom mode and have an issue?

If so, then this could indeed be an issue with the main base unit, as all of the handsets would really "go through" the main base during intercom mode.

And the next step would be to TEST your Panasonic system at a DIFFERENT location (neighbor's home, etc.) - just to verify.

Another TEST would be to get a DIFFERENT phone (basic corded phone is best) and connect it where the main base of the Panasonic is connected, and TEST the phone service (to make sure it works).

Let me know what you think and what TESTS you can do - to find the REAL issue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HI- OK - not sure we are much further forward than when we started the chat
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

To find the REAL issue we MUST TEST.

Can you do either of the tests I mentioned?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will give it a go
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what happens next - after the test - it is going to take me a while to complete
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Very good.

Let me know what you test and the results - when you can.

I'm here for most of the day today, so take your time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Just a note: Try to do the EASIEST thing FIRST, whatever that may be.

I would think trying a DIFFERENT phone in place of the main base unit would be easiest - IF you have a different phone available (even a borrowed phone would do for that test).

I will look for your results later on.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)