Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I cant dial out or receive calls on my newer panasonic

Customer Question

I cant dial out or receive calls on my newer panasonic cordless phone it says check tel line
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: less then one year
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just unplugged it and repluged it in and made sure the telephone line is fully plugged in and then tried different settings
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base and START with KX-TG.

2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system?

3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

5) WHEN did this issue first begin or was noticed?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello we are through telus and we have three handsets and the model number is ***** small but I think it says kx TGDA20C B
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry its KKX-TGD220C
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is the model number on the main part and then another sitcker right beside it on main base says KX-TGD223CB
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - the "check tel line" message usually means that the main base unit is NOT detecting a VALID phone signal coming from the phone jack and through the phone cord.

So may I ask if you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i did have a fax but it was not working so unplugged it and I have used the phone since doing this
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

WHEN was that fax issue, and when did this all begin (the check tel line issue)?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

One other question:

Do you have a different phone line (such as a cell phone) that you can use to place a TEST CALL to the Telus number, and let me know what you hear - IN THE CALLING PHONE?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried from my cell and I hear it ringing on my cell phone but nothing comes through on my handset
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hmm - that's interesting.

Can you tell me if you have a DIFFERENT phone (and phone cord) you can use to plug into the same phone jack as the Panasonic Main Base Unit (unplug the main base unit first)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i just discovered that it is the jack its not the phone or the cord I plugged it into another jack unit and it works fine so something must be wrong with it
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

OK - very good.

If you have had any weather in the area, there could be moisture inside the walls and getting on the wiring.

OR

If there has been any remodeling around that one phone jack, or if the jack was damaged (perhaps by being bumped or the phone cord PULLED), then that could be the issue too.

NOTE: most hardware and home improvement stores have replacement phone jacks, so IF you have the ability to replace the jack, that would be a good thing to try.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.

You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm about to sign off for the night (have an early morning).

I will check back for any other questions when I get back on tomorrow.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)