Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

I do not have a dial tone so cannot dial out. Also my

Customer Question

I do not have a dial tone so cannot dial out. Also my Lifeline keeps blinking and says a phone is off the hook. I have checked all phones and all are properly on the hook. My phone indicated that a line is in use. Could it be the answering machine is not working properly? I have disconnected all phones , then re connected them. Still no service.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello Dorthy & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

This really sounds like this MAY be a SERVICE issue, but to help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Make & Model Number of at least one of the phone systems you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base.

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) Do you have a DIFFERENT phone line available (such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone), that can be used to place a TEST CALL to your home phone number?

4) When you "disconnected all phones", were they ALL disconnected at one time, and if so, for how long?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1) KX-TG5432
2) ATT
3) No
4)No I disconnected them one at a time.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - here is what I would suggest, since you don't have another phone line available to place a TEST CALL to your home phone:

1)Please disconnect ALL devices (phone, fax, answering systems, etc.) from ALL phone jacks in your home. This may take a little time, but will hopefully disconnect any ONE device that may be holding the line "busy" (or in use).

2) WAIT at least 5 minutes (time for the line to "clear").

3) Reconnect ONE device (like your Panasonic Main Base Unit), and check for a dial tone, and being able to make a call.

IF that one device DOES get a dial tone, then continue to reconnect devices - ONE AT A TIME - and checking for dial tone and being able to make a call.

NOTE: The Panasonic system display SHOULD CHANGE to something like "CHECK TEL LINE" - when the phone cord is disconnected.

Please give that a try and let me know your results.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-