Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

Newly installing and old (rarely used) fax KX-fhd331. there

Customer Question

Newly installing and old (rarely used) fax KX-fhd331. there is absolutely no respponse to telephone line or electronic. check both telephone jack and electric outlet. both work.
Any help???
Art
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Do you see any display on the fax?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where are you?
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Your reply just now came through, thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2003 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the stop/cancel button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $50-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nathan: I have been waiting 20 minutes. Either espond or give me my money back
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

I have responded above. Please send only a single reply back though, as multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed. Scroll up to see my full reply above.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Were you able to view my response?
Do you need more help with this?