Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Having trouble with our land line at home. At times, it

Customer Question

Having trouble with our land line at home. At times, it drops calls in the middle of a conversation, sometimes there will be no dial tone when we pick up the receiver and also, once in a while, be get a loud buzzing noise when we pick up receiver.We called Time Warner Cable and they rebooted the modem. This has not helped. We are not clear if this is a problem with the carrier or the phone itself.
Please advise.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What phone service do you have? It sounds as if you have Time Warner Cable phone service. Phone service from a 'box' that they provided, that hooks into their cable/internet service line, I presume. Is that the case?

What phone do you have, also, please? the handset that you pick up and use for phone calling, that is.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
TWC is the carrier. Yes to second question too.We have a Vtech cordless phone,

OK. The cordless phone might possibly be the problem, but it's not by any means sure at this stage.

Try turning Off the cordless phone, when the service has a problem, for about 5 minutes.

Then only after 5 minutes, turn the cordless phone On again, and see if it has improved/cleared up. If it has, the cordless phone may be the problem; If it hasn't, TWC service, or their 'box', may be what is at fault.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dropped calls are intermitant. Can you think of anything else TWC could do to test their equipment?

Given that the phone service is through TWC cable internet services, then dropped calls could be owing to a breakdown in internet transmission capability... if it isn't owing to their local 'box' having a problem.

(Is the local 'box' that you get phone service from, plugged directly into the wall outlet? or is it - as is advisable for sensitive digital equipment - plugged into a surge protector?)

TWC should be asked about dropped calls, yes, and asked to test their internet throughput, as it is called, to your account/location/local 'box'. If that throughput suddenly freezes up, the call would probably be dropped.