Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Can't receive incoming calls gives a busy tone but I can

Customer Question

Hi can't receive incoming calls gives a busy tone but I can dial out
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: 2 weeks I think it is in dnd but have no button
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Unplugged
Reset handset
Tried the phone on another line and it works
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: 2 years
JA: The phone expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Category: Phone Systems
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How can I fix it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide

the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem; it must be quite frustrating to have the phone calling facility disabled this way.

What phone, or phones, and what phone system with how many lines, is concerned with this problem?

The phone on another line works... does the other phone share the same phone number, or is it a different number?

As for whether it can be fixed, what you have described is a fairly common problem, that sometimes happens for various reasons.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The main number works
This is another number
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1 handset

Which is another number, please? the phone on another line that works? or the phone with the problem?

Is there only one phone station to a line, on your phone setup and system?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have a main number down stairs and another number upstairs the one upstairs doesn't work

Are both numbers from the same provider or phone company? or are they from different companies?

Are both lines/numbers, running through the same phone system box? (That's a box that all lines in an office generally run through. Usually it is kept in a back room, or an equipment closet.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
both lines with same provider and comes out of one line
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last time this happened it was a code to dial but the person who got the code didn't write it anywhere
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know what the problem could be

The phone system doubtless has lost some of its configuration and will need reprogramming, for the second line to respond properly to incoming calls.

Reprogramming the phone system will require the administrator code or administrator login for the phone system.

Given that you can dial out on the problem line, the actual infrastructure is OK: the phone station, the phone line cabling, the electronics of both of those. It's a matter of the internal 'switching' or configuration and responses of the phone system box and its details of programming, by the sound of it.

Can I instruct you in the details of programming your phone system? I cannot, I must admit. So I have Opted Out, opening this case to other Experts in this category.