Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Model EL52251 we are gettint this message on our phone and

Customer Question

Model EL52251 we are gettint this message on our phone and don't know how to fix it
1 Prerss find HS on Base 4 Sec
2 Then Press # on headset
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & Welcome,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and IF more than one, do ALL handsets have this same message on the display?

2) What is the AGE of this system?

3) WHEN was this issue first noticed?

4) Do you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, etc.) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1 4 NO ONLY ONE
2 Unknown
3 Just noticed it
4 NO All but this one phone are working correctly
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - if you can, please take this one handset and place it in the MAIN BASE UNIT - and let it sit for at least one minute - to see if it will "reconnect" with the main base unit.

Please let me know what happens when you do that.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing happened
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Greg I'm still here at the computer
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for trying that for me.

NOTE: I see your phone call request, but don't have access to a phone line right now. But another expert in this category may respond to your request at any time.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Since you don't know the AGE of your system, may I ask if you have EVER replaced the batteries in ANY of the handsets?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
DO NOT CALL ME I'M on afixed income and can't afford the extra charge of $26
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we do this every 6 months when we change or smoke alarm batteries
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

You put NEW batteries in ALL the handsets every six months - is that correct?

If so, that may be expensive!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry we only replace them when needed
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - that makes sense.

So do you know if the battery pack in this particular handset has been having a "short talk time" recently, or do you have a battery indicator coming on that says the battery is LOW?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Handset has a battery that shows how effect it is
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we are also getting this
--:-- --/--
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

If you are asking "how effective" is the battery indicator, the answer is "not too effective".

And the other display SHOULD be the time - I believe. But if the handset has "lost its connection" with the main base unit, that would be the cause of the lines instead of time.

Let's try this: Please take the back of the handset and disconnect the battery pack - and leave it disconnected for about 2 minutes.

Also, WHILE the battery is disconnected, push a few buttons on the front of the handset - to help discharge the components inside.

Then reconnect the battery, put the cover back on, and then place the handset in the MAIN BASE UNIT of the system - to see if it will now "re-sync" with the base.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I have done as you asked awaiting the 2 minutes
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - did you reconnect the battery and put in the MAIN BASE yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still nothing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I DIDD and I waited 3 minutes NOTHING CHANGED
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
terrible rain storm here now I'll check back later Thanks for the help so far
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - let's try something a little different.

First, take that one handset out of the BASE charger.

On the MAIN BASE UNIT, you should have a "HANDSET LOCATOR" button.

That is the same button as a "FIND HS" button - on some systems.

So please push and HOLD that button for about 4-5 seconds, and see if the IN USE light turns on or starts to flash.

Now look at the handset again, and see if it says anything - like "registering". If so, press the # key on that handset to see if it will link up to the base.

Let me know what happens

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did as you asked Still NOTHING HAPPENED
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

May I ask "what happened" when you tried to register the handset again?

For example, did the IN USE light on the MAIN BASE UNIT come ON or start to flash when the LOCATOR button was held for 4-5 seconds?

And did you see the display on the handset (or any handset) CHANGE - while trying to register?

One other question: I reviewed my notes and the EL52251 system is supposed to come with TWO cordless handsets, and you mentioned that you have FOUR handsets. Could that mean that you have more than one MAIN BASE unit in your location? OR have you "expanded" the system in the past, to include the extra two handsets?

NOTE: If we can not get the handset to register with the base, there will need to be a choice made, as to either keep using the system without this one handset (if that works for you) - OR - to replace the system with a newer model. I say "replace" because this system is no longer manufactured and getting a replacement handset is not really an option.

To find a list of cordless systems with four handsets, I did a search on Amazon, and have a link to the search results HERE, if you are interested in looking.

Please let me know what you saw when trying to register.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1 yes
2 no
3 We have 2 Main bases 3 smaller bases 5 phnoes in allWe have considered that as a option
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - now that I know you have TWO main base units, can you send me the Make & Model of BOTH main base units?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1 52351
2 52251
If nothing happens can I get a refund on this account?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - those are really two of the same BASE units, with the only difference being the number of handsets that came with each system.

That does "complicate" things a bit, as identical systems operating in the same area often get "confused" as to what base unit they should be connected to.

General guidelines for having two similar systems in the same area:

- Try to keep the two base units as far apart from each other as possible (such as at separate ends/corners of the house.

- Try to keep the handset close to THEIR base unit, and away from the OTHER base.

- During registration - or "reconnecting" - of the handsets and base unit, the other handsets should NOT be in use.

So you can TRY using the reconnect sequence with the OTHER base, to see if that works.

And there is one more thing you can TRY, but if the single handset does not reconnect to either of the base units, that would indicate a failure of the handset. The thing you can TRY is a full "reset" of each system (separately), as detailed below.

Cordless system "reset" procedure. This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Please give these things a try and let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

P.S. Any fee associated with this site are for "troubleshooting help and/or expert advice". In other words, we help find the issue and recommend what action is needed to solve the issue, including things such as replacing a failed component or system.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
NOTHING HAS CHANGED I GAVE UP PLEASE CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP EFFECT NOW
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again and welcome back.

We experts are "users" of this site - just like you - and have no access to any of your account information (including memberships). But YOU should be able to manage your account by using the "My Account" link on your side of the system.

Also, as noted earlier:

NOTE: If you can not get the handset to register with the base, there will need to be a choice made, as to either keep using the system without this one handset (if that works for you) - OR - to replace the system with a newer model. I say "replace" because this system is no longer manufactured and getting a replacement handset is not really an option.

I made that note originally because of the older technology of these systems, and the "LIMITED expandability" of those older systems. If you look at the NEWER systems, they are MUCH EASIER to expand by adding new handsets.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about your phone system(s), or if you need any further recommendations about a replacement system.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)