Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a digital corded phone with three secondary phones.

Customer Question

I have a digital corded phone with three secondary phones. It is the model KX-TG4771C. I have had this problem once before but never understood why it started to work like normal until now again. The problem is that the base phone says the "line is in use" yet all auxillary phones are in their cradles. When you pickup the receiver I can hear the voices in the same room from the TV.We have had the phone now for not quite two years.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

You may have the system in intercom mode, OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

Initially try pressing the speakerphone (SP) button on the main base, twice, and see if that helps. If not it points to a hardware fault and the one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:

1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did send a reply that I tried all your suggestions but it still does not work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can not switch to phone call as reported my phones don't work - have I just been scammed?
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for trying, I'm sorry but I did not receive any other replies than this most recent one. If you replied via email that doesn't work, it has to be done on the web site chat page.

Unfortunately though if the error persists, it is not a setting or configuration matter, it is a hardware issue.

You can repeat the reset process again just to be safe, but if the problem continues, it does confirm a hardware issue, and the only resolution for that is replacement of the system, it cannot be repaired. I can recommend replacement options for you if it comes to that.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This will be the third time I have replied on how I solved my problem. It turned out to be my phone provider as the phone line was dead and had to be reset - so the call is now closed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Again, there are no replies showing from you here, I had sent you some reset steps and direction as well that it could be the phone company with contacting them being the next step if the reset did not help.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

(that rating, and you are rating me personally, not the site, is the how this call is closed)