Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

RCA 2 line phone system 6.0 visys. Has always said out of

Customer Question

RCA 2 line phone system 6.0 visys. Has always said out of range on handset display. Phone has never worked- no dial tone.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Probably 4 or 5 years old Staples still sells this model
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Changing the base w/ other phones, changing the battery, having the phone right beside the base unit, otherwise I've just let it sit all this time.
JA: The phone expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Ball park fee?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & Welcome,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the main base unit.

2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system?

3) Did this cordless handset come with the base unit - as part of a "package"?

4) You mentioned "Changing the base w/ other phones" - what "other phones" exactly were "changed"?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's an RCA DECT 6.0 2-Line Cordless intercom Speakerphone Model # ***** w/ a total of 4 wireless handsets, which include the base unit ( i.e. the base unit also has a wireless handset).
So far as what I changed, I just moved the handsets from one charging base to another to see if there was a problem w/ a charging base not working properly and I switched batteries between phones to see if a low battery was causing the problem. Neither of these things helped. The phone has been like this since I bought it, so there's not a big rush to get back to me immediately.
Thanks in advance for your help
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - is this a SINGLE Cordless handset that is not working? In other words, do you have THREE WORKING cordless handsets, but one that is not?

Also, can you double-check the model number PRINTED on the MAIN BASE UNIT, as I need to CONFIRM that model.