Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

On incoming calls, I can hear the other party but they can

Customer Question

On incoming calls, I can hear the other party but they can not hear me. When I call them back, they can hear me but eventually they complain that they are unable to hear me and we have to hang up.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Karen and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the phone system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ATT CL84365 DECT 6.0 cordless telephone answering system with caller ID/Call Wairing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried unplugging the base unit? ...and plugging it back in but to another outlet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I had not tried that recently. Last week I had to unplug it 3 different times and re-set the answering machine. Should I do this now?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please Karen. The idea is to attempt a soft reset and if that does not work, then the RESET through the MENU/SELECT.

Can you try the unplugging for an extended period of time? ...and then the RESET if necessary?

These other than as an attempt of a fix would also serve as a test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I just unplugged it for about a minute. I will need to get someone to call me to see if it works. So, you are suggesting that the soft reset, followed by resetting through the menu. I'm hopeful that one of these will work, but do you have any other suggestions prior to me signing off with you (or will you still be here in about 5 minutes after I get someone to call me to test to see if this will work?)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The soft reset did not work. I just had someone to phone me and they could not hear me; I could hear them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louis, are you still there?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes; sorry as I am trying to check what other easy user doable tries as it would appear to be an internal hardware issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming that you are still here! I'm not sure how to reset the phone using the menu. When I press menu, the only command(s) that comes up is for the answering system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please advise as to the menu commands that I should use to reset.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Can you please try while in idle mode, press MENU/SELECT once on the handset and then enter 3 6 4 #. Wait for a confirmation tone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither base or handset is allowing me to enter 364#. Should I be scrolling to settings? I tried to go to settings but still no response to 364#
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Louis! I know that you have the magic remedy to correct this issue. Please advise another possible solution.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The only other try is to unplug the base unit and remove the batteries from the handset for an extended period of time. The idea is to simulate a soft reset. Perhaps an hour or 2.

Can you please give this a try?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will do this, but I'm assuming that you will not be on the line waiting for 2 hours or will I be able to come back on-line for any further advice from you? Will I need to contact "Just Answer" and pay another fee? Please advise as to next steps after I've done this extended period soft set.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone is now unplugged. I will do this for 2 hours. Please advise if you will still be available.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Karen, please do a Ctrl + D to bookmark this page and/or click on the question page LINK provided in the emails sent by the site. I would then be prompted to post a reply soon thereafter.

Would look forward to an update when able then.

Cheers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your assistance. Hopefully, this will be the solution to this problem!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If appropriate, Happy Father's Day!
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Thanks and it is.

When able then.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Louie, I just plugged the phone back in and it appears that the 2.5 hour reset worked. My mother phoned me and was able to hear me. We talked for 45 minutes and the phone did not go mute on her end. Thank you, ***** ***** your help. Hopefully, the problem has been resolved.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great Karen! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Glad that the above information served your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept (if haven't done so).