Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

The KX TGE260 model has a dial tone but cannot receive or

Customer Question

The KX TGE260 model has a dial tone but cannot receive or dial out.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Marie.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) What do callers hear when they call you? Busy signal? Voicemail? Endless ringing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The home has three phone handsets and when trying to call the landline, the outside line goes directly to "call ended",
Do not understand what dsi service means.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or clear a security hold on your account. I’ll resend a new phone offer from my end that may be more readily processed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This website is a scam. I have already paid 36,00 and in ordet to speak to someone rathet than text is an additional 26,00, This site is raping one's credit card .
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

The phone call is an optional feature, it is not required. If you want to continue here in the chat format instead, you need only say so.

I sent the phone offer at your request.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's late and need to work in the am.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Okay you can follow up with me here in the morning if you prefer, just bookmark this page and we can pick this up later at your convenience.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

In the meantime, I'll send you some info here to get you started.

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines. As an initial step, to diagnose the issue as a panasonic fault or a line fault, it would be helpful to test another device on the line (a basic corded phone, fax machine, etc). If you don't have one, you may be able to get a cheap one at walmart, borrow one from a friend/neighbor, etc.

Let me know the results of that test (or if it simply is not possible to, we can move on to some other steps, but may ultimately have to come back to this).

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Marie?