Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

Our 2 Panasonic cordless phones, KXTGE210B suddenly stop

Customer Question

Our 2 Panasonic cordless phones, KXTGE210B suddenly stop working mid-call.
We bought two replacement phones, same model, with a new charger, but these two, when "charged," don't work. One message is that a phone is too far from base.
How do we get these replacement phones to work?
What could prevent the previous two phones stopping in the middle of a call?
Please call my cell phone (###) ###-####
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The AGE of this phone system, and WHEN the handsets "suddenly stopped working"?

2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system (before and after getting the replacement handsets)?

3) Were these replacement handsets purchased as "New" or perhaps as "Refurbished" or "Used"?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The original system was c. 10 years old, with one charger and two cordless phones. Added were another charger and two more cordless phones (which phones, though saying "charged," warn they're too far from the base, though there's no base that gets them to work.)
The phones would suddenly stop working about two months ago. They usually re-started soon after stopping. (People would call back very soon and the phone then worked.)
The replacement handsets and charger were from e bay. We don't know if they were new or used or refurbished.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've been trying to send the above message.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Just received message. Please let me review it.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

I have reviewed your notes - thanks for that.

That does bring up some new questions:

1) What is the model number of the OLD system (from the MAIN BASE UNIT LABEL)?

2) Were/Are you trying to use the KX-TGE210 HANDSETS as a REPLACEMENT for the OLD handsets?

I only ask because if the OLD system is 10 years old, there is a good chance that the eBay handsets you purchased are not "compatible" with the older system.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The model of the old base: KXTG 5432M (in smaller numbers, bottom right: PQGT17343YA)The cordless phones (= handsets?) -- 2 previous and 2 added -- all have KXTGA542M.The new base model numbers: PQLV30042ZAM (in smaller print: PQGT18816ZA)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that.

OK - I have an image for you to look at - which I believe is what you have at the main system. You MAY have to click on the image NAME to view the image.

But please look at that image and let me know if ALL the components (HANDSETS, Main Base, Remote Chargers) look like what you have.

I only ask because you mentioned the model KX-TGE210B in your first note, and it would not look anything like the components in the image.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the images of handsets, main base and remote charger you sent look just like ours.Sorry about that wrong model number.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - So if you have ONLY the model of the components shown, there is a CHANCE that you can "re-register" the handsets to the Main Base Unit - and have them operate properly.

Let me grab the instructions I have for doing that, and send them back to you.

While I look for those instructions, may I ask if you have EVER replaced the batteries in ANY of the cordless handsets of this system?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we replaced at least one battery in one of the original handsets, within c. the last year.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We've kept the handsets charged at least daily.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - you MAY want to make sure you have well charged batteries, and plan on replacing them AT LEAST every 1.5 to 2 years - just to be sure. Just over 2 years is the average "useful life" I get out of most of these batteries.

OK - I have the full "re-registration" process for you - as an ENLARGED image. Please note that this is really a multi-step process, where BOTH the handset and the Main Base Unit are involved, and must be done in the proper sequence.

Also, when you get to STEP 4, do ONLY the steps for your particular model (KX-TG5432), and ignore the rest.

Please give those steps a try on ONE HANDSET AT A TIME, and let me know your results.

Also, this particular system should only be able to have TWO handsets TOTAL - registered and working at the same time.

With that in mind, if you can not get these replacement handsets to register to the main base, you MAY want to consider a newer model, because most modern Panasonic systems can support UP TO SIX cordless handsets with one base unit.

I will look for your results in a bit.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Both new phones have {3} on their screen.
Ii put one new handset on the base charger.
When I followed the directions for the KX-TG 54322 base unit, I pressed locator/intercom, got H1 and the old handsets kept ringing. How long were they going to ring? I heard no beep, and the new handset had no dial tone, and on the screen "No link to base. Move closer to base and try again."
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correction: 5432, not 54322 base unit. I found no place to press "OK."
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

You MAY want to take the battery pack out of the OLD handset - so you don't have to listen to the ringing from the old handset.

And the "OK" will NOT appear on the handset you are trying to register UNTIL you get the MAIN BASE to start flashing the H1.

By the way, that is how long you are supposed to push and HOLD the LOCATOR button for H1 - UNTIL the H1 is displayed.

So let me summarize:

Steps 1-3 are done ON the HANDSET you are trying to register - to try to get it into the "registration mode" so to speak (to get it READY).

Step 4 is done AT the main base unit, to START its side of the process.

Step 5 is done ON the HANDSET - once it "sees the base" has gone into register mode.

NOTE: I believe the handset needs to be OUT of any charger (or the main base) when doing the registration.

Please try that process again, and let me know what you see on the handset (for steps 1-3), and then if you can HOLD the LOCATOR H! - until you see that DISPLAYED on the base.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did the steps, keeping pressure on the "OK" button for a while, while or after the base kept flashing H1. Then the handset flashes "error."
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Before the error message, the screen on the phone read, "handset registering."
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

You should NOT have to "keep pressure" on the OK button for the handset at the last step, but just have to TAP that button and wait.

And that you are seeing the "registering" on the screen after tapping the OK is a "good thing" - which tells us that it is at least TRYING to do the process.

The "error" is of course NOT a good thing.

Have you tried this with the OTHER eBay handset? If not, please try it now.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried Phone 1 again, without keeping my finger on the ok button. Still an error.
Phone 2 says "ringer off" "phone book" and doesn't move off these messages.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - is that OLD Phone 2?

And WHEN do you see those messages?

Is that when you press MENU?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That was new Phone 2. It does let me work throught the menu. Neither new phone gets through the registering process without an ending error message.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
correction: through - not "throught"
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

No worries - typos like that happen all the time. :).

I starting to think that the MAIN BASE UNIT may have an issue - and not the handsets at all.

That could also explain why the old handsets started to suddenly stop working mid-call too.

Do you still have the original handsets (1 & 2) and have you TESTED them since we started this session of troubleshooting?

Also, do you have any "ties" to this particular system, or would you be open to a "newer generation" of Panasonic phone system, with a particular set of features (number of handsets, answering system, etc.)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The original handsets still usually work, just stopping sometimes in mid-conversations. People have called us back right away when this happens, and we're able to resume talking ok.
I don't think we're ready for newer phones.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - very good.

Let me summarize where I think we are at, as there are really a couple of possibilities;

1) This could very well be the MAIN BASE UNIT - that is starting to fail - and causes the loss of communication between the Main Base and the cordless handsets.

2) These eBay handsets are also an "unknown factor", in that they will NOT register to the main base unit. BUT (see #3 below)

3) This is an "older generation" system, that was not really designed to be "easily expanded" to more than the number of handsets that come in the package with the original system.

I mention numbers 2 & 3 above because these eBay handsets MAY be fine, BUT they were "left over" or "salvaged" (used) handsets from a KX-TG5433 system - because you mentioned that each of these handsets was labeled as "#3".

Also, the current generation of Panasonic system IS EASILY expanded (up to 6 handsets), and the current handsets even have the capability to "de-register" THEMSELVES - so that they can be registered to a different Main Base Unit of the same (or compatible) model.

As an example, let me give you a link to the search results for a "Panasonic cordless phone 3 handsets" I did on Amazon, and have you look at what is available - and the current street prices for such a system. Most of these results can also be looked and change the number of handsets too, to sometimes get an even better price.

Panasonic cordless phone 3 handsets - Search Results (Amazon)
Click here-->

Once you take a look at some of those system, you may want to COMPARE what the cost of the eBay handsets are, plus batteries, etc., and then see if it might be about the same cost (or maybe less) to replace your system with a new one.

Also, if the eBay handsets can be returned for a refund, assuming you have a reasonable seller that will take them back, then those funds could be put toward a newer system.

I am NOT trying to pressure you into a newer system, but just suggesting you may want to "take a look" at what's out there - as another possibility.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a new message? I got a text saying there was, but don't see one.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Just the last message above - did you see that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** now got your latest message.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Very good.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The issue is not resolved. Thank you for your efforts.
When I have a chance, I'll see if replacing the batteries in the old cordless phones will stop them from suddenly stopping.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your response.

Please let me know what happens with the new batteries - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****