Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

My wife left her cell phone in the car but she thought it was

Customer Question

My wife left her cell phone in the car but she thought it was in the house so we unplugged the Panasonic base unit in an attempt to call her phone and find it. That did not work so we plugged the base unit back in and discovered her phone was not in range so we knew it was in the car and we found it. Now we cannot get her cell phone to connect to the base unit. We tried following the operating instructions, but we must be doing something wrong, but what is the question. Thank you for your help. Frank
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
Hello Frank & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.To help you with this issue, may I ask:1) The Model Number of the Panasonic phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the main base unit and START with KX-TG.2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system?Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The phone is a kx tgea20s and we have three handsets
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that. That model (KX-TGEA20s) is for one of the handsets or chargers.Please find the MAIN BASE UNIT (the LARGER base with a phone cord attached) and see if you can find a mode that does NOT have the "A" in it. That's where we're looking for. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model number is ***** tge 260
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
OK - very good. Now take the cell phone relatively close to THAT MAIN BASE UNIT and see if it "reconnects" to the system. By the way, it is that MAIN BASE that a cell phone is paired to, so that one or more cordless handsets can be used to "talk through" the cell phone. Please let me know if the cell phone reconnects - when close to that main base. We MAY have to pair it again. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have alredy done that and it does not reconnect after the one minute that it is set for
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
OK - it sounds like you TRIED to pair the cell back to a cordless handset - and not the main base - is that correct? If that is what you did, can you tell me the STEPS you followed, trying to pair the phone again, and the results as you went along?If you have a page number and page title from the manual, that might help me understand what was done. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is nothing on the base that can be used to pair so I used the hand set from the base. Page 18 in the instructions but when I push the menu it only lets me enter 3 numbers not 4
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
Hi again, I understand that there are no controls ON the MAIN BASE UNIT from programming. The handset is used for that, BUT the Main Base Unit has the actual Bluetooth transceiver in it - so the cell phone MUST be relatively close to that MAIN BASE UNIT at the time of programming AND any connection. Does that make sense? Also, when you are trying to pair again, are you pairing to the same LINE as the phone was paired previously? And, when you attempt to program, are you pressing MENU and the # ***** and then the 4-digit number (6241 or 6242)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The handset is close to the base and yes it is the same phone and yes I push the menu button and then the number key but it only gives me a 3digit space not a 4
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
OK - have you tried "unpairing" that particular channel yet? Steps should be at the bottom right column of page 18. Also, you will want to verify that the MAIN BASE UNIT is connected to power, as ALL these "commands" are actually done IN the main base, and it needs to be powered to do that. Please try ONE of the unpairing commands (MENU # ***** 1 1 x) and let me know if the system allows that. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried impairing but I only get 3 digits. Power is on. I am sorry but I am frustrated right now and I not getting any answers. I am sure you are a nice person and good at your job, but I am not satisfied so please do not charge myaccount any fee. Thanks again I know you tried, but I am tired and want to go to bed. Frank
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Frank, I can understand your frustration, as troubleshooting often takes multiple steps - and does take time. Perhaps a break would be in order?Or perhaps even a reset of the Panasonic system, as all we have discovered so far is that the Panasonic handset and base unit are NOT operating properly at this time (proved by not being able to enter 4-digit direct commands).If you want to reset the system and then try again later, the reset is relatively easy. It just involves disconnecting ALL batteries from ALL handsets, removing power from the main base unit, leave the system in that state for about 15 minutes, and then reconnect ALL (batteries and power to the main base). Let me know if you want to try that - and then try the commands again. Also, we experts have no access to your account or payment information, so any deposit you may have made is safe and sound in your account here. I'll be here for a few more hours this evening, and most of the day tomorrow, so I will look for your results then. Take Care, Greg A.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
Hi again, I see a bit of time has gone by and I wanted to check up on if any progress has been made with this system. For example, were you able to RESET the system, and then get the 4-digit direct commands to work? I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)