Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Panel says check phone line. Also on mute. Unable to get dial

Customer Question

Panel says check phone line. Also on mute. Unable to get dial tone or receive calls
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.To help you with this issue, may I ask:1) The Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?3) WHEN did this issue first begin?4) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Panasonic sect 6.0 plus. Service provider is ATT. First started Friday may 29. There are no other devices connected to phone line
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information. OK - can you check for that model printed on a sticker - on the bottom or back of the main base unit? It SHOULD START with KX-TG and be followed by a few numbers.- How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system?- Is your AT&T service a "wired" service (comes directly into your home)- OR - is it a "U-verse" based system - where you get internet and phone services (bundled)? Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
MODEL KX TG4772B2 cordless handsets and the service is not bundled
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
OK - very good. May I ask if you have access to a DIFFERENT phone - such as a basic corded phone - that we can use to TEST (to find out if this is a "phone" issue (with the Panasonic) OR a "SERVICE" issue? ORDo you have a cell phone that you can use to place a TEST CALL to your AT&T number? Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We can call the wired number from the cell but we've already tried that
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The number rings on the cell but cannot be heard in the house
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
OK - can you tell ME what happens - in the cell phone - when you placed that call? For example, did you hear some ringing in the calling phone, get a busy signal, be switched immediately to a voicemail system, etc.?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hear ringing
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
OK - how many times did you let it ring?And does your test call switch to AT&T Voicemail after a number of rings. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have to try it again. The phone has an answering machine. She didn't use voice mail
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
OK - are you NEAR the phone system now? And do you have access to a DIFFERENT phone - such as a basic corded phone - that we can use to TEST (to find out if this is a "phone" issue (with the Panasonic) OR a "SERVICE" issue?Even a borrowed phone would do for this TEST.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not really. I'm using a cell right now. 10 rings and ATT ANSWERED
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
OK - so you are "not really" NEAR the phone system - is that correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I removed the base from the wall I found an item called a "dsl filter" which is not connected to the phone. Is this important?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I am. I'm in the same room with 2 cell phones and the wired phone. I am at my mothers residence
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
OK - very good. A DSL filter usually does NOT need to be connected for a "standard" (wired) phone service. So if the PHONE CORD was/is connected DIRECTLY to the phone jack and the MAIN BASE UNIT (and WAS that way before & working), that should be fine. So are there any neighbors around (friends of your mother) that might lend you a simple phone?ORCould you take the MAIN BASE UNIT over to that same neighbor (along with the AC power adapter and phone cord) - and TEST it there (plug it in and see if it gets a dial tone)? Again, this is just a TEST to see if this is a PHONE issue or a SERVICE issue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry she is quite elderly and has not become acquainted with her neighbors. I could take it to my home but that would take abt 15 minutes. I believe she pushed something that muted the phone, but can't figure it out. I have to thank you for your time and will call the one company to come in
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again, One thing about the MUTE indicator on these phones:It is actually normal for that word to appear - during a conversation or when the line appears to be in use. If using a cordless handsets, you should be able to press the soft key (button) below the word MUTE, and the MUTE should start to FLASH. It does that when the MUTE is ACTIVE. If you want to try a simple RESET of the main base unit - before taking the phone to your home, simply disconnect the AC power adapter (from the main base AND the wall outlet), disconnect the phone cord, and leave them both disconnected for about 5 minutes. After that wait, reconnect the phone cord and AC adapter, and then TEST for a dial tone after about 30 seconds (so the base will "initialize). Let me know what happens with that TEST. Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)