Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a Uniden phone/answering machine DECT 6.0 number

Customer Question

I have a Uniden phone/answering machine DECT 6.0 number BY00123302. I need to change the out-going message and no longer have the manual. Can you help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I do not know how to change the out-going message.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may be having with your phone system.

May I ask if you can look at the back or bottom of the MAIN BASE UNIT and see if you can find a MODEL Number printed there (it could say "M/N:" before that number)?

By the way, Model numbers usually have one LETTER and then a few numbers behind them (typically FOUR numbers).

I only ask because the number you sent looks more like a "Serial Number".

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is M/N D1780.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that model number.

May I ask if I can send you a link to the electronic (PDF) version of the manual will work for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the extent of this service i.e. sending me a copy of the manual? Thanks.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

No - not really.

I can also point out and walk you through the steps - if that is what's needed.

Here is the link to the manual I mentioned (below). Please let me know if that appears on your screen or if you are asked to SAVE it to your computer.

https://www.uniden.com/File%20Library/FooterNav/Product%20Information/Owners%20Manuals/D1780om.pdf

Once I know you can SEE the manual, I will point out where to find the steps and perhaps need to "interpret" them (they are not always clear).

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

In case you need it, the steps for recording a new greeting START at the bottom of page 14, and go onto the top of the next page.

If you can not see the manual pages, I can grab them on my side (as an image) and put them here.

Also, the hardest part about interpreting these particular steps is the "MENU/SELECT function - which is a dual function button on the handset (it is a single-button that does different things - depending on WHEN it is pushed).

The next hardest part is knowing to use the UP and DOWN arrows to navigate through the menu system. So when the instructions say "Open the menu with the phone in standby. Select Answering Setup, then Record Greeting.", There are actually a few different button pushes in there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears that I can't get the handset to charge as the display is blank. What should I do?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Has the handset been charged up?

- OR -

Do you have another handset available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot charge it and don't have another handset. I tried the other outlet with no change. What is my next step?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Is this a NEW system, and if so, have you not charged the handset yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not new. I have kept the handset in the base throughout the time I've owned it.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - may I ask why you "cannot charge it"?

And how old is this system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least a few years old. I don't know why it isn't charging. I need to go offline now. How late can we resume this chat today? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping you could advise me why it isn't charging.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

I'll be here for another 2 hours or so now, then take a break for dinner (about 90 minutes) and then back for a few more hours.

Just send me a know when you get back and let me know you're here.

NOTE: You may want to check the local stores to see if you can find a replacement battery pack.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Part number for the battery pack should be stamped on it, but if you can't read it, it is BT-1021.

An office supply or local department store that carries Uniden cordless phones should have them, but you may want to "call around" first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going out ot town to return on Sunday. Can we pick this up then? I will look into replacing battery pack. Thanks.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

We certainly can continue at any time you wish. I'm here almost every day to help.

Just so you know, this system send out "reminder" emails every so often - so if you see those, please don't be annoyed by them. Just come back and respond as soon as you can.

And one other note about the battery not charging: This can often be traced back to dirty or damaged charge contacts - either on the handset itself or the charging base unit. So a close look at and cleaning of those contacts (with a bit of alcohol and a cotton tipped instrument) is a good thing to do too.

Please let me know what you find - when you can.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today.

You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Take Care & Have a Safe Trip, Greg A.

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)