Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

Re: Panasonic phone Model No. KX-TG9382. The Line 1

Customer Question

Re: Panasonic phone Model No. KX-TG9382. The Line 1 indicator light on the base unit is firmly "stuck" in the 'in use' position (glows red constantly). I cannot make nor receive any telephone calls as a result. All efforts on my part to correct this condition have failed.
I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system?

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line (or line 2) and if so, are they working properly?

4) Is LINE 2 connected to an active phone line and if so, does that line still work properly?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
TOTAL cordless handsets = 3
Phone service provider -- VERIZON
Only device connected to LINE 1 is a computer.
LINE 2 is not connected to any active phone line.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - let me see if I have this correct:

You have the KX-TG9382 system - with 3 cordless handsets AND

It is being used for connection to a single line AND

Line 2 is UNUSED - and not available.

AND line 1 of the phone line is connect to a "computer".

So does that mean that the computer & internet connection is "dial up" service?

Also, do you have for can acquire (borrow, find, purchase) a DIFFERENT phone (basic corded is best) - to connect to the phone line and TEST for a dial tone?

This is a very basic test, that will tell us if this is a "line issue" or a phone issue.

Another way to TEST is to take the main base unit and one handset to a different location with working phone service (friend, neighbor, etc.) and TEST it there - to see if you can get a dial tone.

Can ANY of these tests be done?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just received your response a few minutes ago and I am sitting here, astonished because the issue apparently has resolved itself without my doing anything other than what I had previously mentioned to you. As I began typing my response to your suggestions about testing my telephone line and the telephone itself, I looked up and glanced at my telephone and observed that LINE 1 indicator on the base unit no longer glowed red. So I picked up the handset to hear if I had an active dial tone; and YES, I now have an active dial tone. And I promise you, I did nothing to cause this to happen. MAGIC!
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - it MAY seem like "magic", but it is probably some kind of "indicator" of a loose connection or perhaps some other "intermittent issue". Of course issue that "come & go" can be hard to find - especially when they go way more than they come back.

So let me recommend that you "keep an eye" on the line, by perhaps TESTING every now and then for the next day or two. And you may want to place a TEST CALL or two, and listen to HEAR of there is any OTHER indications of line issues. Things like "static" or line drop can be good indicators of that.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions or issues.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-