Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

I have a Dect 6.0 Plus system with a base + 5 phones =6

Customer Question

I have a Dect 6.0 Plus system with a base + 5 phones =6 phones. I love the CID feature + the Block Caller feature. I have been blocking annoying callers for several years now, but this week I have noticed that my phone will accept about 14 numbers and then it starts to go "Brainless." It mixes the numbers out of the order I programmed. I took my 6 phones to my local Radio Shack (where purchased) to have the Panasonic batteries tested. They are all OK. The phones still work as a phone, but something is wrong with Caller Blocks. What is causing my problem? How can it be fixed? Thank you, Marion
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hello Marion & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with? It sounds like it may be a Panasonic system, so that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the main base unit and START with KX-TG.
2) What is the AGE of this system?

3) Can you give me a bit more detail about the "brainless" behavior?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Greg A.
The Make and Model Number is ***** PANASONIC. The date of purchase was 2/9/2013 at Radio Shack in New Canaan, CT.
I work to program the numbers I want to block from a page that I type up beforehand. I work my way down the list of the numbers with my usual success until I get down to 24 or 25 out of a limit of 30 numbers. At that point, it jumps to a previous number or a later number that is not even in the proper sequence. If I go back to the top, then try to work my way down the list again to the point where it went screwy, it may only list properly until 14 or 15, give a couple of little beeps and goes back to number one again. Now it will only list down to the 8th number and it jumps back to the first number again. Very frustrating. Does that help?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again Marion,

Thanks for the model number and YES that does help explain the "brainless" behavior.

OK - for a little background information (that you MAY know).

All of the numbers in the Block List are actually "stored" in MEMORY - and that memory is physically located in the MAIN BASE UNIT.

Also, that same physical memory is sometimes "shared" with the answering system, so when you see the "up to 30" numbers that can be stored, that can actually be a little less than 30 (if you have any saved messages, recorded a LONG personal greeting, etc.).

Now what I believe MAY be happening is that the MEMORY that stores these numbers is getting a bit "disorganized" - and the control system is getting a bit "confused" - cause all that jumping around between numbers.

So what I would suggest as a FIRST STEP - to try to correct this - is to "reset" the entire system. This SOMETIMES helps to "clear up" conditions like this, and restore proper operation.

I have included the reset procedure that I use below. This takes about 15 minutes or so, but is well worth it as a FIRST STEP - if it clears up this behavior.

Cordless system "reset" procedure.

This is done by following the steps below.
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, blocked numbers, etc.).

Please give these things a try and let me know what you find or if you have more questions. There is a more drastic (and lengthy) step we can take if this first one does not clear this up.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, Greg. I will try this protocol that you have outlined for me. The trouble is that it is after 10 PM here in CT, I have had a rather strenuous weekend and am in my eighties. I will have to do this tomorrow. I have a good feeling that this will be my answer to my problem. Will you be on "duty" on Mon., 3-21? I don't expect to have any more questions, but I will only be sure tomorrow. I would like to close the loop with you, thank you and give you a 5 star feedback!!
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi Marion,

You are quite welcome.

And I should be here tomorrow, from about 12PM (your time) to about 6:30PM, when I take about a 2 hour break. Then back for another 2-3 hours.

I look forward to your results.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-