Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

There is so much static on my Panasonic KX-TG4771 phone that

Customer Question

There is so much static on my Panasonic KX-TG4771 phone that I can hardly hear the speaker. I have had this phone for over a year and this is a new problem.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, does the problem / symptom persist if the handset is even very close to the base unit?

Any new/additional/replacement electronic devices added lately? ...modem, router, alarm, clock radio, electronic lamp/dimmer or the likes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't seem to matter what location it is in. The static is on the base unit and all of handsets. I can't think of anything that we have added.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the problem is getting worse. In addition sometimes the phone only rings once when someone is trying to call me.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the additional information; very significant.

Have you tried plugging in the base unit's AC wall adapter to another outlet? ...or moving the base unit even a few feet away from its current position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plugged the wall adapter to another outlet. I moved the base unit about 2 feet from it's current position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband is trying to move the base unit a little farther away right now.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please; as these are the only easy user doable tries.

All others would be internal to the base unit.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have someone call me now to see if it's better when it is farther away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was less static but the phone only rang once even though I waited a while. My husband was calling and he said he heard a sound a little like a fax machine. Someone else who called told me the same thing the other day.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Is there another device using the same telephone line? say a modem>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband said that the first time he called me and I picked it up after one ring, it didn't make that odd faxlike sound. The second time he called and I waited to see if it would ring again, it made that sound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband just hooked up the old fashioned phone and called me. I let it ring 3 times. There was hardly any static and he did not hear the faxlike sound.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand and this is very significant; i.e. if another device connected to the same telephone line/wires does not exhibit the symptom, then it would be an internal hardware issue with the base unit of the Panasonic KX-TG4771.

Is this still under warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it Nov. 13, 2014 and it has a one year warranty
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Are you considering having it repaired? If yes, it would be to your advantage to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center.

Though it has to be pointed that if no longer under warranty, repair fees may not be economically justifiable.

Still, would you like information on locations of authorized Service Centers?