Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I had to change my battery in my lg g3 phone, and now it

Customer Question

I had to change my battery in my lg g3 phone, and now it says the SD card is not formatted or not supported, but I have tons of pictures/video/documents on there, what do I do?
Thank you!
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

1. you can gain access to your memory card and its files/contents, by using a computer card reader appropriate for your SD card's size/type. (True 'SD' cards come in three main types:

- SD (original): up to about 4 GB capacity. The SD card that was used first.

- SDHC, and SDXC: larger, to much larger. Advanced SD cards not always readable in every reader.

Such a card reader can be added to any computer without one, for about $10 to $20 in cost, plus a very easy install procedure.

2. you can fully charge your new battery, and that may support the card reader function (which takes a little extra power.)

The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

It may read, at first usage out of the package, as if it were fully charged - but it isn't. Leave it 'on charge' for 6+ hours no matter what it reads. Then try to use it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The sd card was reading fine on my lg g3 and i have been using it for several months, when i changed batteries and charged the battery, it said it was blank and needs to re formatted. is the only way to put everything on my computer, re format sd card, then download stuff again?? Ack...

That might be advisable.

And, if it works, it will be astonishingly easy. SD card technology is made to be easy to that degree.

I just hope it isn't *really* blank / in need of reformat. That is possible, if static discharge got into it to a certain degree; it might be truly erased.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
dang it, computer says i need to reformat too, yikes, really really sucks

I'm really sorry to hear that.

If it hasn't been erased as Flash memory media can be, completely and instantly, you might possibly be able to recover something or anything from it, by using free data recovery software with your computer.

In order to recommend such software to try, I will need to know what Windows (or MAC OS X if Apple) version is on your computer.

And how large the total capacity of the SD card is, and whether it is SD or SDHC or SDXC -type SD card.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Windows computer micro SDXC1 card, samsung 64 gb evo, and that would be awesome!!

Is the 'Samsung SDXC card, 64 GB EVO', the memory card and its total-capacity figure?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry, i was crazed!!! yes, is the answer, and thank you for helping!

Thanks. I'll be looking up the right figure and data for that - sorry that this response wasn't earlier.

http://www.icare-recovery.com/howto/freeware-to-retrieve-sdxc-memory-card-data.html

I think that would be a good first try. Use this utility carefully, and be aware: it may well fail to recover anything.