Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Have uniden tru8866. I reset the base because I lost 2 of my

Customer Question

Have uniden tru8866. I reset the base because I lost 2 of my 10 phones and couldn't re-register my 2 new phones. I deregistered all my old phones but now when I try to register a handset it says not available. All handsets have been charged for 20 hours. How do I get the handsets to register?
Category: Phone Systems
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please use***@******.***,***@******.*** was a typo
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any trouble you may be having with your phones.

When you say you "reset the base", what exactly was done to do that?

Also, are the ORIGINAL handsets now displaying something on the screen - when you try to use them?

If so, what is the EXACT message you are seeing?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
First I deregistered the handsets by going to deregister on each handset. Now they all say "place handset on base to register". To reset The bas I disconnected base held dnd button and reattached phone cord and Ac adapter(saw it online). This reset the base. I set the time and area code as per manual. I charged all the phones for 20 hours as it says in the manual. When I place a handst on the base it first says registering and then beeps and says not available
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - when you say you are putting the handset in the base, are you putting it in the MAIN BASE (and not a charging stand)?

Also, do the handsets have ANY TEXT SHOWING on the screen - after the were de-registered?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Putting on main base, not charger. Text on handset says "place handset on base to register". Usually placing a deregistered handset on the main base(not charger, I know the difference) results in the deregistered handsets registering in order. But now when placing the handset on the main base it says registering on the handset but instead of registering it it beeps and says not available on the handset
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - let me have you do a quick TEST for me.

On the MAIN BASE, press MENU, and then scroll through the selections until you see Room Monitor, then try to SELECT that option (press OK).

When you do that, do you see a list of HANDSET NUMBERS, or does it BEEP at you and not allow you to select a handset?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It gives me all ten phones 1 through 0. Of course since I can't register handsets it says they are not available
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - if you have a list of ALL 10 handsets IN THE MAIN BASE, then yes, that means that the handsets were NOT de-registered from the main base unit, and is therefore still "full" (can't register any others).

So please take a look at the following video, where shows how you SHOULD be able to CLEAR the main base unit of handsets.

Basically you press and HOLD the "Delete" button on the main base unit, while reconnecting power (after disconnecting from power and the phone line).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Ao6dauz-o

Please give that a try, then TEST for the Room Monitor after the reset, and if you get the same "beep" that the person is the video gets, you should be all set to place one handset at a time in the base and get them to register (also shown in the video).

Please let me know if that works for you, or have different results.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Which is delete button?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Doesn't appear to be a delete button on the TRU 8866 base
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry - it should be the button that is in the same POSITION as the delete button on the system shown in the video.

So that would be the "Redial/Pause" button.

If that does not work, then try the EXIT button (next one down).

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

The KEY is to get the handset registrations OUT of the MAIN BASE UNIT, so that is why the TEST using the Room Monitor menu item.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
of course. That's what I was trying to do. I will review the video and try it
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - that makes me wonder:

Was the MAIN BASE UNIT powered UP - when EACH of the handsets was de-registered?

I only ask because when I did the HS de-register - ON the handset of MY system (same as the one in the video) - that handset WAS removed from the base (and the Room Monitor list).

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it was powered up. I tried thesis button, the exit button, the redial pause button and the phone book button. None of them removes the phones from room monitor
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - further research (testing) says that the HS Deregister - from the handset did NOT work when power was removed from the main base unit - at least in my system (handset said "out of range" after a longer delay).

And with your results (just mentioned) of trying different buttons when powering up, I'm starting to believe that there may be an issue within the MAIN BASE UNIT itself - that is preventing the handsets from de-registering.

Now I MAY be able to find a replacement base unit - if you would like me to look. Please let me know.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Just did a quick search of Amazon, and see that these systems (new) are still available, but quite pricey (over $300). See link below.

http://amzn.to/1WlQ8Mt

BUT, I do see in that listing that there are OTHER SELLERS - with systems that are "used" - for a much more reasonable price.

NOTE: I don't usually recommend "used" devices, but with a MAJOR cost for new, I would consider it. But I also like to be VERY CAREFUL about where I get a used part or system, and check any "return policy" if the system proves to be faulty or unusable when it arrives.

eBay or other online sites might be a good place to look too.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't think it's the base, it was working fine yesterday. I'm afraid if I bought a used base I would have the same issues trying to eliminate already registered hand sets. My problem appears to be resetting the base and clearing it of already registered hand sets
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

I understand.

So do the OLD re-registered handsets have something showing on the screen right now?

Mine says "Place handset on main base to register".

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

One other thought: You MAY be able to "clear" the main base unit by doing what I call a "LONG system reset".

This involves disconnecting all cable & cords (power & phone lines) and leaving them disconnected for a LONG TIME (1 hour, 2 hours, etc.). And during that time, try to push a few buttons every now and then - such as the SPEAKER button.

The "idea" is to allow all the electronics in the device to "discharge", and cause the setting memory to "clear".

Another thought is try the clear as before, except trying EACH of the "control buttons" (like the EXIT & DND buttons already tried) - to see if any of them work to clear the base.

Let me know what you think and what can be tried - when you can.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, I think all I really need is the method to clear the base
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

I agree. I will do further research to see if I can find another way.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

I found another possible "reset" of the base unit that may work. Please give this a try.

NOTE: Make note of where the "Menu" soft key is on the base, before starting.

1) Unplug all cables from the main base unit - including power.

2) Push and HOLD the DND + * + Menu soft key (should be the MIDDLE button under the display) while plugging in the AC power - and CONTINUE to HOLD these three buttons for AT LEAST 15 seconds after applying power.

3) The base SHOULD power up and CLEAR ALL settings, including any registered handsets.

========================

I'm also finding another reference that says pressing and HOLDING the EXIT, CID, and INTERCOM buttons while powering up will reset the base.

========================

Please give those a try - when you can - and then TEST by trying the "Room Monitor" menu again - to see if any handsets are left in there. If you can, let me know if one of those methods works to clear the main base.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)