Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I dial a number then push the talk button.busy is on the

Customer Question

I dial a number then push the talk button.busy is on the display.call does not go through.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have model no. kx tgf375 with 4 hand sets.I don't what to tell you.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Technician should know?
Customer: It happens randomly. I can not duplicate the problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) You mentioned having multiple handsets... Does this issue happen with ALL handsets (assuming you have tried more than one)?

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) You also mentioned this happens "randomly" and is hard to duplicate. How often would you say that this happens?

4) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line (not part of the Panasonic system), and if so, are they working properly?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but not all at once.phone service is through armstrong cable It happens weekly no devices
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for that.

OK - do you have a Voicemail service through your provider?

And is so, do you notice that this happens mostly if you have a new voicemail waiting?

Also, have you TESTED to see if you push the TALK button FIRST, and then dial the number - if that works more reliably?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
on the voicemail Yes possible if I push talk first busy is there rite a way
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Either way is "right" - as long as it works.

The reason I asked about the voicemail is that MOST voicemail systems will send a "signal" to your home phones WHEN there is a NEW voicemail waiting. Perhaps you have heard that signal OR seen the "new voicemail" message on the display of your phones.

That signal is a few "pulsed" dial tones that can be heard IMMEDIATELY after pressing the TALK button, then a CLEAR dial tone.

SOMETIMES when that signal is present and you punch in the number first, then press TALK, that signal will "get in the way" of the number actually being dialed, and the call will not complete.

But if you press the TALK first and WAIT for the clear dial tone, then the call WILL go through - almost every time.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, when I push talk no dial tone appears only busy
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Is the condition right NOW?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

And you are LISTENING for the dial tone - is that correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do listen for the dial tone there is no tone at all this problem is on the phone with me now
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

OK - very good.

And can you CONFIRM that you are just pushing the TALK button and listening for the dial tone - and NOT punching in a number first?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yesto that
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

OK - very good.

Those symptoms would indicate that there is either an issue with the SERVICE (most likely) or perhaps a problem with the main base unit if the Panasonic system (less likely).

Of course since this is "random", we will have to try and find the issue WHEN is is happening.

So what I would recommend is that you try to RESET the main base unit of the system, and see if the condition remains.

To reset the main base, simply disconnect the AC power AND the phone cord from the main base and leave them disconnected for about 15+ minutes. Then restore the connections and TEST for the dial tone again.

If the problem remains, then it would be time to give the "technical support" folks at the service provider a call, and report this issue. You may even want to do that first - just to see if the provider KNOWS of any "intermittent" issues they are having with their system or network.

Please let me know what you try and what the results are - when you can. And let me know if you have any other symptoms or questions for me.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)