Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I just purchased a Panasonic phone system home from Target.

Customer Question

I just purchased a Panasonic phone system for our home from Target. I guess I have installed something incorrectly because I cannot dial any 805 area code numbers. help
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the main base unit and START with KX-TG.
2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system?
3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
4) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line, and if so, are they working properly (can they dial 805 numbers)?

5) Can you CONFIRM if you are INSIDE or OUTSIDE area code 805?

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
model number is ***** 3 handsets, Verizon is our provider, we are outside area code 805. actually it is possible that I cannot call any long distance since we installed the Panasonic system because I only dial 800 numbers besides area code 805. we don't call anyone else.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - so do you have "long distance service" through your provider, or only LOCAL service?

AND, are there ANY other phones in use on this line - even if you had an old phone that the Panasonic system replaced?

One other thing: The KX-TGEA20 model is for the HANDSETS (and remote chargers). Can you find the MAIN BASE UNIT of the system (the LARGER unit that connects to phone CORD and power adapter), and send the model of that?

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
would it be KX--TGE230, we have long distance service through Verizon. before we bought the Panasonic system I could call anywhere long distance. no other phones connected to this system other then the 3 handsets
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

OK - KX-TGE230 is a good model number.

Do you still have an OLD phone - that can be reconnected to TEST if it will dial out on long distance?

Also, may I ask HOW you are trying to dial these numbers?

That is, do you have the numbers stored in the phonebook, and try dial from there OR use some other method?

What I'm trying to figure out is what is DIFFERENT from the old phone and the new one.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I try to dial by getting a dial tone than dialing 1-805-xxx-xxxx. I do not still have the phone from before. I don't have the numbers stored in the phone book
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hmm ... that's interesting.

Can you do a quick TEST for me?

That TEST is to dial using the same sequence as above, EXCEPT press the SPEAKER button on the handsets to get the dial tone, and then press the 1-805 part, and then LISTEN to see if you hear "tones" during those key presses OR "clicking".

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I get tones
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

OK - can you still dial 800 numbers (successfully), AND/OR local numbers - and if so, does the call go through?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

OK - have you tried the 805 calls WITHOUT the 1- in front of the 805?

Also, what do you hear when you TRY to dial these 805 numbers?

That is, does the dial tone go away and you hear silence, or does something else happen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we just tried to call a number in texas and it did not go through
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

What area code in TX, and what did you HEAR when you tried?

Did the dial tone go away - and then come back?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - it is sounding like the long distance service is not working right now, but with the local service working, would be a Verizon issue.

What I would recommend if that is the case is to contact the Customer Support folks at Verizon (contact number below) and report this issue. Their support folks should be there 24 hours a day - every day - to look into this issue.

Verizon Customer Support: 1-***-***-****

Please let me know what you find or if you have any other questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

P.S. I have to go to a meeting for a while (church meeting) but should be back later to check on your progress.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

Sorry I wasn't able to reconnect last night.

I wanted to check to see if you were able to contact the support folks to see about the long distance service working (or not).

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)