Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a tech cs6829, we can make a call but the phone does

Customer Question

My name is Camilia! I have a tech cs6829, we can make a call but the phone does not ring for an incoming call. what are we doing wrong?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The phone rings when someone calls from their phone, but does not even let them leave a message. It just rings for them and nothing happens on our end. But we have a dial tone and can make a call. What could the problem be?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Camilia.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1] one phone
2] no other phones or a fax on the same line
3] this is a landline provided by verizon
4] no dal service on the same line
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4] no dal service on the same line. How can you make a call and your phone and not ring or even go into voice mail
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

We really need to test another device here though to properly isolate and diagnose the issue.

Is it possible for you to get/buy/borrow just a basic corded phone to test the line that way, to see if it will ring?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Did you need anymore help with this?