Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a new home phone set and the hand sets both say the

Customer Question

I have a new home phone set and the hand sets both say the line is in use and it isn't. How can I turn this off.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I tried to set everything up and apparently hit the wrong button and how I can't call out or receive calls because I have no dial tone and the hand sets say the line is in use and it isn't/
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. Yes
2. No
3. Landline with AT&T
4. Yes
5.Model #KX-TG6572R
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Do you have your old phone still?
We really need to test another device, preferably just a basic corded/wall phone, to properly isolate if this is a line fault or a panasonic/setup issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I DO HAVE MY OLD PHONE BUT IT ALSO HAS AN ANSWERING MACHINE INCLUDED. IS THAT OKAY?
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Yes that is just fine. Unhook the panasonic and plug the old one up i nits place.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I REINSTALLED THE OLD SET AND THE LIGHT IS FLASHING THAT SAYS "IN USE". I CALLED THE PHONE COMPANY YESTERDAY AND THEY TESTED THE LINE THEN AND SAID THERE DIDN'T APPEAR TO BE A PROBLEM WITH THE LINE AND IT MUST BE AN EQUIPMENT PROBLEM. I JUST CALLED AT&T AND THEY TOLD ME TO UNPLUG EVERYTHING THAT IS PLUGGED INTO A PHONE JACK. IS THIS WHAT I SHOULD DO?
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

At this point, since it happens on the old one too, it is either a line fault (despite what the phone co says),

OR there is something else there holding the line open.

Unplug anything that is connected to a phone jack, including all phones, faxes/printers, computer modems, satellite dish, security system, etc.

Then plug just one phone in, and see if you can get a dial tone on it, leaving everything else disconnected still.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Any luck with that?