Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a problem with my phone (panasonic kx-tg4133m)

Customer Question

Hi, I have a problem with my phone (panasonic kx-tg4133m) Yesterday I unplugged the base unit (I needed to move it) & plugged it back in - but I can't call or receive calls now.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the phone line is connected to our fax/printer if that matters
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system?
2) As a TEST - can you connect the phone cord from the MAIN BASE UNIT of the Panasonic system DIRECTLY to the phone jack in the wall? When you do that, wait a few seconds after connecting the phone cord, then pick up a handset and press the TALK button, and then listen for the dial tone.

Please let me know what you hear when you do that.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1- I have two, but I've only been using one since I don't need both.
2- I did this, there is no dial tone. All I can hear is myself and sounds around me
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hmm - interesting.

I see you mentioned that you had a FAX/printer system ALSO connected to the phone line.

Does that machine have a "handset" you can pick up and check for dial tone - OR - a button that you push to hear the dial tone OR try to dial and send a fax?

The idea here is to TEST for the dial tone.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I made sure the volume was set to high but there was no dial tone. I have a Brother machine & pressed "hook". "Telephone" comes up but no sound
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hmmm.

If you Brother machine is like the one I had, when you press HOOK, you SHOULD hear the dial tone.

Did your behave that way too - in the past - or have you note used that feature much?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I didn't even know about it until just now when I searched how to hear a dial tone on my machine
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

OK - if you don't use the fax system much OR you don't stand next to the machine when sending a fax OR have the volume way down (for dialing), then you may not hear the dial tone at all.

So let's take some more drastic steps.

If you can, I would like you to disconnect ALL devices from ALL phone jacks in your home, and then WAIT at least FIVE minutes.

Then connect ONLY the phone cord from the Panasonic base unit to the phone jack in the wall (direct connection), and then TEST for the dial tone.

This is to see if the phone line itself may be "stuck", and the five minute disconnect allows the line to "clear".

Please let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe it did dial before - I mean I didn't know about the hook button. I tried what you said but the phone still has no dial tone.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

OK - let's see if we can TEST - from the other direction (so to speak).

Do you have access to a different phone line (such as a cell phone or neighbor/friend's phone) - that you can use to place a TEST CALL to your Panasonic (or fax) number?

If so, please place that TEST CALL and let me know EXACTLY what you hear - in the calling phone.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I called from my cell phone - it's actually ringing now. Before I would immediately get a "We're sorry, your call did not go through.." (can't recall the rest. Something like 'Please try again later') message. I let it ring for about a minute and hung up.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the phone I called didn't receive a call
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

OK - just so I'm clear.

You DID hear the ringing IN THE CELL PHONE - correct?

You did NOT hear the Panasonic phone ring - correct?

If so, is the ONLY THING connected to ANY phone jack in your home right now is the Panasonic main base unit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that's all correct.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for that confirmation.

OK - do you have a DIFFERENT phone jack - in another room perhaps - that you can take the Panasonic Main base to and connect it there?

If so, please do that and then place a NEW TEST CALL - from your cell - and see what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, I went to a couple of rooms. My cell phone rings when I call but I don't receive a call on the Panasonic phone.I also noticed the "check tel line" message didn't go away when I connected to the other phone jacks. It goes away when I plug it into the phone jack in my office.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The first jack I plugged it into - from the Brother machine to the phone jack in my office wall)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hmmm . that's interesting.

That sounds like the other phone jacks may NOT be connected properly to the phone line.

So may I ask WHAT HAPPENED to make you want to move the phone originally? Is ANY work - such as remodeling or rewiring - taking place in your "office space"?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was making space for a new computer - the cords couldn't reach any outlets, so I unplugged the outlet strip (? I think that's what it's called) that the phone base was connected and reconnected the phone base to the outlet in the wall. I didn't touch anything else - no cords or wires.No remodeling or rewiring is being done.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Interesting.

So did the phone cord get "pulled" or "pinched" at all?

I only ask because you WERE getting a response like "We're sorry, your call did not go through. at one point, and that suggests that the phone line (or service) was "busy" or "hung" at that time. But then - when ALL devices were disconnected - you got ringing IN THE CALLING PHONE (your cell phone), which means that the service MAY have cleared.

So can you REPEAT that test call now - with just the Panasonic connected - and let me know what you hear in the calling phone?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't believe it did. It seems that something did clear up because I keep calling and it rings now. But that's all that happens, I don't go to voicemail or anything. I'm still ringing now and it's about 1:20 in
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

OK - did I ask what phone service provider you have for this phone line yet?

If not, please let me know what provider you have - for the landline phone service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The phone rang for over 1:30 and then there was a stutter - it continued ringing and at about 2 minutes I heard this message: "Welcome to Verizon Wireless. Your call could not be completed as dialed. Please check the number and try again"We use Time Warner Cable for the landline
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for the continued testing. Just so you know, 10-15 rings for almost any TEST call should be enough to either make the connection OR get some other response from the phone service.

So now that I know you have a cable company for your service, I believe we should switch directions toward that provider. I say this because I believe the SERVICE (or the provider's equipment) is the real suspect component(s) now.

I say this because of the CHANGED responses you got when TESTING.

The KEY to getting the service back would be to have ONLY ONE device connected to a formally working phone jack AND being able to get a dial tone.

So let me ask if Time Warner Cable (TWC) has a MAIN BOX (often called a modem) that gives you ALL your services (Phone, internet, etc.)?

If so, I will want you to locate that box and take a look at the front and back of that box.

Please let me know if you know where that box is.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know where it is. What should I do?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - what I usually recommend is to RESET that box, by removing the power connector from the box (usually in the back), and leaving it disconnected for TWO FULL MINUTES, then reconnect the power connector.

What that does is reset and RELOAD all the SERVICES in that box, after it powers back up (takes a minute or so to restart).

NOTE: This WILL suspend all the services while the box is disconnected from power, but all should come back after the box comes back online.

So if your internet and/or TV service is also through that box, don't be surprised if those services go off during that time. Just leave your computer screen right where it is and you may have to refresh the screen when the service comes back.

Please let me know if you want to do this - and the results.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did this but nothing has changed. My cell phone rings but I don't receive a call. There's no dial tone when I press talk on the phone.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for trying that for me.

OK - there is one other TEST we can do - IF you have both the TV service and phone service from TWC AND the "feature" where when a call comes in that the Caller ID is displayed on the TV screen IF the TV is turned on?

Do you have that feature with your services?

If so, turn on the TV and repeat the TEST CALL from your cell - and see if your cell phone caller ID shows on the screen.

If you don't have this feature, the next step is to contact the provider (technical support) and report that the phone service is not working. If you need their contact number, I have it below.

For Questions about Time Warner Cable's services or any urgent matters, please call:

800-TWCable (***-***-****)

Please let me know what happens.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We don't have a TV services, just phone. I'll try calling them. Thank you
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

You are quite welcome,

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)